Board index DeFRaG DeFRaG in general

Pad Maps

Are you really the best?

Pad Maps

Postby TittenIgnition » Aug 10th, '12, 11:48 pm

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34855518/pad_maps.pk3

I cut out a lot of really hard lanes from a lot of popular maps and put them all in one room. It's a pretty good practice map, since it accommodates all of the more advanced skill levels (hardest is w3spgaz red, easiest is tr1ckhouse white).

I also retextured it so all the lanes have their own look. The lighting is kinda suck though.

Anyway, tell me what you think. If this is a good idea, tell me more lanes to add and I'll get right on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Re: Pad Maps

Postby [fps]Mntr » Aug 11th, '12, 8:13 pm

this needs a lot more pads, idea is good tho. Could you add smth like palmslane/blissbeta orange/sludge/monopads/some padmasters lanes etc
[fps]Mntr

Postby TittenIgnition » Aug 11th, '12, 11:09 pm

[fps]Mntr wrote:this needs a lot more pads, idea is good tho. Could you add smth like palmslane/blissbeta orange/sludge/monopads/some padmasters lanes etc

I downloaded a lot of pad maps, but I wasn't sure if any of them were really that good. Monochromatic does indeed have some good pads, though. Also, the fourth lane is o2b.

What I want is a greater range in difficulty. If there are any pads between cos1 white and tr1ckhouse white, and tr1ckhouse white and o2b, and etc., I would like to add those. The jumps from lane to lane are kinda high.
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby Arcaon » Aug 11th, '12, 11:53 pm

Why not q3a.ath.cx?
Arcaon

Postby TittenIgnition » Aug 12th, '12, 12:00 am

[faps]a wrote:Why not q3a.ath.cx?

Why would you still use that outdated URL? And why would I upload an unfinished map to Worldspawn?
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby Arcaon » Aug 12th, '12, 12:25 pm

Uh huh... carry on then.
Arcaon

Postby xAMoMAx » Aug 14th, '12, 2:40 am

The map is a great idea. :clap: Maybe there should be more room for circle jump. I like doing cj more when there is no wall too close, also maybe there is not enough room for cpm players to get the best ramping since they have longer cj (not sure, I cant play cpm at all :roll: ). Also teleport would be slightly lower (I like actually see when I dont reach a pad.) But just my opinions, nice work, thx!
xAMoMAx

Postby TittenIgnition » Aug 15th, '12, 11:38 pm

xAMoMAx wrote:The map is a great idea. :clap: Maybe there should be more room for circle jump. I like doing cj more when there is no wall too close, also maybe there is not enough room for cpm players to get the best ramping since they have longer cj (not sure, I cant play cpm at all :roll: ). Also teleport would be slightly lower (I like actually see when I dont reach a pad.) But just my opinions, nice work, thx!

I think I based the size of the starting area off of another map, though I'm not sure which one. It does feel a little cramped, but there is ample room for circle jumping with full ramps imo. I might move it back ~64u just to make it feel a little more comfortable.

These are all VQ3 pads, so CPM players can go suck a dick and find a CPM pad map, of which there are a couple.

I also got really annoyed at high teleports, especially on maps like bliss-beta2a. The teleporter on that map is actually 24u (I think) below the pad, but it's so close to the step height (18u) that it feels like I'm not being given a chance to get a full ramp when really I am. I did something similar with this map. At first, I made the teleporter exactly 18u below the pads, but that felt really wrong even though it was exactly where it "should" be. I moved it down to 24u, which is the same as bliss-beta2a. I might lower it another 8u just to get rid of that evil feeling, but it really doesn't hinder your actual strafing at all. I promise.
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby <hk> » Aug 16th, '12, 4:06 am

How about a pad map on which the pads aren't level in one plane?
You could increase the Z-value of each pad(and move it closer) to force the player to reach the strafing angle quicker.

The other way around can be equally interesting. Increase airtime by moving the pads down on each step.
Imagine two swings of airstrafe before you reach the next pad and just being able to ramp it. A rather extreme example but you get the idea.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby TittenIgnition » Aug 16th, '12, 6:06 pm

<hk> wrote:How about a pad map on which the pads aren't level in one plane?
You could increase the Z-value of each pad(and move it closer) to force the player to reach the strafing angle quicker.

The other way around can be equally interesting. Increase airtime by moving the pads down on each step.
Imagine two swings of airstrafe before you reach the next pad and just being able to ramp it. A rather extreme example but you get the idea.

Maybe for another map, but the point of this one is to combine a lot of advanced lanes that already exist into one map.
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Next