Board index DeFRaG DeFRaG in general

New mouse advice / Mouse issues

Are you really the best?

New mouse advice / Mouse issues

Postby Phoenix » Jul 6th, '10, 3:00 am

I'm looking to buy a new mouse. Hoping someone here is able to help (and to make it through my wall of text alive) :lol:

Let me explain my issue ...

I'm using a Logitech MX1000. It's roughly 6 years old and has seen lots and lots of use. It's the best mouse I've ever used and the perfect design for my playing style. Since about a month ago it's been having serious issues with its wireless connection. It will just drop randomly and very frequently (sometimes within 10 seconds) although sometimes it will stay good for a few hours. Basically what happens is the mouse will stop working completely. No movement, no button clicks registering. The MX1000 has 2 reset buttons. One on the bottom of the mouse. One on the base charging station. Usually hitting the bottom button will fix it until the next drop. Sometimes I have to hit both buttons. And sometimes if that doesn't work I have to unplug the USB cable from my computer and then plug it back in (sometimes the reset buttons need to be hit yet again after this). So it still works but it's a huge pain in the ass and I've almost thrown it against the wall several times ... Not to mention after the reset if I'm in q3 the mouse movement is very choppy for about 15 seconds so if it happens mid game its very inconvenient.

It's so random and as you should see from above how to fix it isn't even consistent so I'm not sure what would be causing such a problem. I've completely disassembled the mouse, cleaned it out and made sure all connections were connected properly. Didn't fix anything (except maybe a smoother mousewheel after i got a bit of dirt out :lol: ).

I'm using a mac pro (The tower, not a laptop) and also about a month ago I just installed windows 7 on it to dual boot for Q3 and GtkRadiant and a few other goodies that don't work as well in OS X. I've been wondering if this could somehow be the cause of the problem but it really doesn't make any sense. Also, although the problems happened around the same time it didn't happen exactly when I installed it. I think it's just coincidence but I don't want to rule it out. Also note that the problem happens under both operating systems, not just windows.

So replacing my mouse would be easy except Logitech is absolutely retarded and took the MX1000 off the market. It's no longer available and I don't buy mice (or just about anything) used. I've looked over all of Logitech's new mice even the newer replacement models for the MX1000 and I think they're all garbage ...

I found one that I think is going to be similar to it (in terms of shape, size and button placement) but it's only sold online so I can't test it out at a store (at least not in Canada). Everything about it seems like it's the ideal replacement but I saw a few reviews saying that the mouse broke within 3 months. Just wondering if anybody here is using or knows anything about it and can confirm or deny that because it's very expensive to keep replacing if it's going to break that quickly. I've also seen a handful of other bad reviews for it with various problems.

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razeru ... d.35210600

I ordered the Razer Destructor gaming mat about 3 months ago and it's easily the best mouse pad I've ever used ... although that's not saying much when all I've ever used before it is a standard mouse pad. This mouse is really the only suitable replacement I've found after lots and lots of searching so I'm hoping either someone knows a fix for my problem, knows of a similar mouse alternative that I could buy or can provide reliable info about the Mamba.

Any info is appreciated ... if you read all of this ... thanks :D

Also ... if anyone suggests a Microsoft mouse I will hunt you down and put your balls in a vise grip :lol:
Phoenix

Re: New mouse advice / Mouse issues

Postby Arcaon » Jul 6th, '10, 3:45 am

Get a Razer Deathadder. I use one, and I play Defrag pretty okay. It's almost identical to the Mamba, and all reviews I've seen for it have been positive. ;)

Edit: It's also half as expensive. :)
Last edited by Arcaon on Jul 6th, '10, 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arcaon

Postby Phoenix » Jul 6th, '10, 3:47 am

Wireless is a must. I don't care about the million negative things people have to say about it I will not use a corded mouse :)
Phoenix

Postby Arcaon » Jul 6th, '10, 3:48 am

Mehhhh! :(
Arcaon

Postby 742617000027 » Jul 6th, '10, 9:40 am

Phoenix wrote:Wireless is a must. I don't care about the million negative things people have to say about it I will not use a corded mouse :)

Why are you asking for advice in the first place when you are so biased? My advice: no wireless and no Razer. Go from there :p

Postby $$-albion » Jul 6th, '10, 12:42 pm

OMG NO WAI

I also use a Logitech MX1000 and fuck yes it's the best mouse I've ever had! :D btw protip about the reset-buttons: they're supposed to be pressed at the same time for a few seconds :p only problem I have with it so far is the fact that my mouse3 aka middle mouse button doesn't work properly anymore :D
$$-albion

Postby Phoenix » Jul 6th, '10, 8:33 pm

742617000027 wrote:
Phoenix wrote:Wireless is a must. I don't care about the million negative things people have to say about it I will not use a corded mouse :)

Why are you asking for advice in the first place when you are so biased? My advice: no wireless and no Razer. Go from there :p

It's not so much bias as it is personal preference. The best mouse for somebody else isn't necessarily the best mouse for me. There's a million factors to consider such as the size of my hand could be larger or smaller than yours as well as I could have longer/shorter fingers which affects where the ideal mouse size and button placement should be for MY mouse. I'm simply asking for advice and suggestions. I'll take anything into consideration but personally I can't stand having a corded mouse. That's just me.

As for your no Razer comment ... can you elaborate? What's so bad about Razer that I should know. I've never used any of their mice so I'm completely ignorant on the subject.
Phoenix

Postby $$-albion » Jul 6th, '10, 9:30 pm

Explain the "no wireless" comment. In my opinion a wireless mouse is just as good as a wired mouse or even better, I've never had any problems with my wireless mouse in years.
$$-albion

Postby Phoenix » Jul 6th, '10, 9:37 pm

I've never had issues with it either but apparently it has a slower response and can suffer from wireless interference which doesn't make it ideal for [competitively] gaming with.
Phoenix

Postby $$-albion » Jul 6th, '10, 10:06 pm

Phoenix wrote:I've never had issues with it either but apparently it has a slower response and can suffer from wireless interference which doesn't make it ideal for [competitively] gaming with.

This delay is at most a fraction of a millisecond and the interference caused by other objects is obsolete. It would take another object that emits the same exact waves aka same frequency, as the wireless mouse to interfere with each other to mix up the signal sent to the mousedock.
$$-albion

Next