Board index DeFRaG Competitions DFWC 2012

General discussion

General discussion

Postby <hk> » Jan 10th, '11, 12:49 pm

Shouldn't the preparations for the World cup start soon?
Who is running it this year?

Mappers better start preparing maps. Whoever runs it, will need them.

MDD is willing to host the DFWC this year if nobody claims it first.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Re: DFWC 2011

Postby $$-albion » Jan 10th, '11, 4:04 pm

<hk> wrote:Shouldn't the preparations for the World cup start soon?
Who is running it this year?

More importantly, during which period will it be this time? Every time dfwc takes place, I have to study due to exams and playing maps for 1hour the last day isn't such a good method :p except if you've got arcahax, then maybe you could :D

And I'd be glad to help wherever I can, just don't ask me to map/code anything ;D :p
Last edited by $$-albion on Jul 7th, '11, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
$$-albion

Postby <hk> » Jan 10th, '11, 5:04 pm

We would happily provide a demo sanity checker to whoever runs the contest this year. With it you could submit your demo and get instant feedback if it is valid or not. Valid in terms of settings like "pmove" or other rules not cheats.

How about we all make a list of things that should improve compared to the last years?

• I'd like to see the results of all demos instantly after the deadline runs out. I don't care if they are cheat or not. I want to see at least a ranking. Validation can take up to 2 days after the deadline.
  • The demo upload script should tell me if my demos have invalid settings so i don't get disqualified.
  • Many players drop out of the comp pretty early because they didn't make it past the required time for a map. Times should be added up until the very end. In my case, I suck at strafing but I like plasma maps. Kick players out of the list when they stop submitting demos.
  • I always had the feeling some players knew the maps before others did. Also sometimes there where apparently intentionally mapped shorts or bugs. I don't know how to fix this but it bothers me anyway.
  • I'd love to see some more weapon maps. Also less clipping. It only makes the map and the demo more interesting if there are many things to jump on, or being able to run back for more ammo. Nobody likes being rail-roaded.
  • I didn't like the dfwc2010 engine. Players protested less than I expected. To me it was just an anti feature.
  • Not more than 5 Rounds, please

$$-albion wrote:More importantly, during which period will it be this time?

Suggest one.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby $$-albion » Jan 10th, '11, 7:30 pm

<hk> wrote:
$$-albion wrote:More importantly, during which period will it be this time?

Suggest one.

Ideally for me would be the starting weeks of the semester (February-March and September-October) :p
$$-albion

Postby esc?eThaD » Jan 11th, '11, 3:49 pm

I suggest ZyaX to join forces with me to organize the event this year. (He was more or less agree to ogranize dfwc)
    It would be nice to get settings auto-validation and table auto-making.
    If you don't like the dfwc2010 engine, then we need something to substitute it, because it works. Any suggestions?
    System with players dropping is the way dfwc works. I suggest to bring back system from 2008th year. 6 weeks, 9 maps, 2 player droppings (we can half the list two times: after 3rd map and after 6th map).
esc?eThaD

Postby ZyaX » Jan 11th, '11, 4:02 pm

I agree.

I'm in on being on the organizer team.

Will comment more on what you guys have written later, because I am sick now. :cry:
ZyaX
Voice of Reason

Postby amt-morbus » Jan 11th, '11, 6:44 pm

DeaTh wrote:...
    System with players dropping is the way dfwc works....
    6 weeks, 9 maps, 2 player droppings...

- Why drop players,the amount of ppl(people) playing DFWC is not too big. I like HK's idea of adding the times!
- 9 maps? Good luck with that - getting together 7 maps for dfwc2010 was already a pain in the ass (ask agressor) :D .

I think 5 maps with no qualification-round and adding times (no drop-outs) is the way to go.
amt-morbus

Postby esc?eThaD » Jan 11th, '11, 8:46 pm

Then there's no point in dfwc, because it's gonna be just a simple competition like bdfcomp or undeadcomp.
It's a world cup, so let's make it the way it always was - with player droppings. If someone wants to play only plasma maps, he can always wait for a random competition and send demo there or even just play online...
esc?eThaD

Postby $$-albion » Jan 11th, '11, 10:33 pm

ZyaX wrote:I agree.

I'm in on being on the organizer team.

Will comment more on what you guys have written later, because I am sick now. :cry:

If you'd like I could join in, if the date is good :p
$$-albion

Postby esc?nebuLa » Jan 11th, '11, 10:39 pm

Well, whoever organizes and manages it this year, I hope you don't accept any maps that have "tr" like routes where you can collect items and start the timer. (See DFWC2010-4)

<hk> wrote: I didn't like the dfwc2010 engine. Players protested less than I expected. To me it was just an anti feature.

Yes, definitely. It seems like too many people had problems with this particular engine and it seemed as if it wasn't tested thoroughly.

<hk> wrote: We would happily provide a demo sanity checker to whoever runs the contest this year. With it you could submit your demo and get instant feedback if it is valid or not. Valid in terms of settings like "pmove" or other rules not cheats.

A simple lite program that could accurately check for invalid settings would be great. Advanced cheating is another story though. We need someone with the knowledge Camping_Gaz has only working for good guys instead of aiding the bad.

- The DFWC2010-0 round seemed pretty pointless. Everyone that sent a valid demo in, qualified. Should just start with round 1.

- Uploading of results needs to be of top priority. Some years were better than others, however, I think if you get 4 or 5 guys checking demos (2 cpm and 2 vq3 or more) all at the same time at a decent pace, I believe that results should roll out rather quickly.

EDIT: Mappers should not be able to play on their own maps for obvious fairness reasons. They might create some specific advantage only their group of buddies knows about.
Last edited by esc?nebuLa on Jan 11th, '11, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.facebook.com/TeamEventHorizon
#tricking_eh on irc.quakenet.org
esc?nebuLa

Next