Board index DeFRaG Mapping

New entities

Maps and the process of creating them

Re: New entities

Postby MidiMightyMoe » Jun 7th, '10, 2:41 pm

I don't see proxy being any useful in runs, and it would be awful in most freestyle tricks. I'm sure some people would use it well, but most of the time it's gonna be some "lolilol i iz jump so aye".

Velocity_push are pretty cool and underated imo, but it would worth making it more intuitive to use and maybe add some feature to it. Maybe something like this :

-target_dir : sets the player currrent velocity (absolute XYZ) to the target direction.
-target_add : adds X ups in the target direction
-player_add : adds X ups to the player current speed. (same direction so).

So that you can convert horizontal speed to vertical, make turns/move up, slow fall (8x anyone ? :D ) etc. If you you tick two (or three) option, the resulting speed is the vectorial sum of the different speed.
For example; if you you set target_add : 200 and player_add :0 , with target vertically aligned to the trigger, this will results in a push up of 200 ups vertical while keeping horizontal speed. (what current velocity_push does). With the same configuration, if you you select target_dir, this will pus you in the air with all your speed converted to vertical speed.

If i'm not wrong, it covers everything velocity_push currently does, and adds one the possibility to change player's speed direction. (Don't know if it's really clear though >_< )

Good luck with your coding work !
MidiMightyMoe

Postby amt-morbus » Jun 7th, '10, 3:19 pm

maybe add like pitch,yaw,(roll) boxes like the target_push has...
amt-morbus

Postby <hk> » Jun 7th, '10, 4:25 pm

Back in Halflife we had a "trigger_push".
It pushes the player into a specified direction. The player can walk against it but slower. This was very useful when you want to have a player swim up a river that constantly pushes you down. It doesn't push you once but as long as you touch the trigger.

I'd love to have rivers or windy bridges.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby amt-morbus » Jun 7th, '10, 5:32 pm

well basically the trigger_push_velocity
amt-morbus

Postby BeRsErKeR » Jun 7th, '10, 9:19 pm

Good news guys. I've made it. Clientside doors for the masses. :mrgreen:

It's really working!

My solution:

Clientside entities will be created for any connected player. These entities are only visible, touchable and clipping for the "owner"-player. This took a long time as I didn't notice that only 19 of the 32 bits of a flag value are transfered by the server :x ... and I needed 20 bits of course ...

Clientside entities will only be created if a player connects and will be removed when the player disconnects. So there will be only minimal resources used. Furthermore the server will only send information about this entity to the owner-client. The clientside-flag can theoretically been set for any entity. But I'll only use it for func-entities. ;)

I will improve the code a little bit and look for bugs. Then I'll implement clientside buttons. =)
BeRsErKeR

Postby Anyone_Under_This_Rank_Is_n00b » Jun 7th, '10, 10:13 pm

nice =)
Anyone_Under_This_Rank_Is_n00b

Postby $$-albion » Jun 7th, '10, 11:50 pm

BeRsErKeR wrote:Good news guys. I've made it. Clientside doors for the masses. :mrgreen:

It's really working!

My solution:

Clientside entities will be created for any connected player. These entities are only visible, touchable and clipping for the "owner"-player. This took a long time as I didn't notice that only 19 of the 32 bits of a flag value are transfered by the server :x ... and I needed 20 bits of course ...

Clientside entities will only be created if a player connects and will be removed when the player disconnects. So there will be only minimal resources used. Furthermore the server will only send information about this entity to the owner-client. The clientside-flag can theoretically been set for any entity. But I'll only use it for func-entities. ;)

I will improve the code a little bit and look for bugs. Then I'll implement clientside buttons. =)

So this basically means, you'll be able to make maps with buttons again, without anyone else pushing it for you to save out time on the map :O Naajs

I'd say keep up the good work :D
$$-albion

Postby BeRsErKeR » Jun 8th, '10, 9:34 am

Yes exactly this would be possible. But first the clientside doors will need more testing. Yesterday I found a funny bug. While other clients are not influenced by clientside doors, the right client will see how "his" door pushes other clients away or he can't open "his" door because a player is stucked in it. The bug was that players won't test collision against clientside doors of another client, but the doors theirselves were testing against other players from the view of the right client. :D

But now even this works fine. ;)

Was hard work but I'm satisfied with the result. Buttons are in progress. ;)
BeRsErKeR

Postby BeRsErKeR » Jun 8th, '10, 5:18 pm

I'm just working on a small test map for the new entities. So I can release the entity test-mod along with this map for online tests and so on. I also tested func_door_clientside and func_button_clientside in action but there is a small bug I have to fix: The doors can be opened by touching even if they have a targetname and should be triggered by buttons or other triggers. But this won't be a big problem anymore. :)
BeRsErKeR

Postby BeRsErKeR » Jun 8th, '10, 5:56 pm

Here is small video about the testing. It's difficult to capture the functionality of clientside entities. :D

As you can see there is another bug: Missiles will impact with doors of other clients.
BeRsErKeR

PreviousNext