Board index DeFRaG DeFRaG in general

iodfe

Are you really the best?

Re: iodfe

Postby WreCkeR » Nov 27th, '11, 12:39 pm

Yeah iv been reading that post, but what i was wondering is what kind of advantage this velocitysnapping grid can have in strafing. I see the advantage and disadvantage of velocitysnapping, but just wondering in what way this hud can be usefull. Like what to look for in the bar? I see some big grey bars, and some littles.
WreCkeR

Postby <hk> » Nov 27th, '11, 2:27 pm

It's basically this graph.
Everthing that is above the red line is showen in green.
You can see two small lines that represent these peaks in the picture attached. also there is this bigger green bar, that represents the middle part of this graph that is above the blue line.
You want to stay in the green area. However unlike the cgaz hud where you have to position your mouse relative to the hud you have to position your _speed_ relative to it.
You have to fly into that direction, not look into it.

You can also watch the process in setups w3spgaz midlane demo(downloadable in the other thread). If you have "df_hud_cgaz" set to "1" and turn on the velocity snapping hud then you will see the big arrow at the very bottom move along the green bars. You have to use timescale 0.2 though, to see it :)
The big arrow represents the current direction of the players velocity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby [fps]Mntr » Nov 28th, '11, 1:56 pm

can someone post w3spgaz setup demo? Cant find it except for youtube.
[fps]Mntr

Postby <hk> » Nov 28th, '11, 3:20 pm

[BG].Mntr wrote:can someone post w3spgaz setup demo? Cant find it except for youtube.

:text-search:

<hk> wrote:This thread goes into detail.
<hk> wrote:You can also watch the process in setups w3spgaz midlane demo(downloadable in the other thread).

This is the right post with the demo attached.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby RaneFire » Jan 29th, '12, 3:11 am

I tried this engine today, and it seemed to be good at first glance, but when I tried to play with it offline... it does weird things with my mouse. For instance whenever I'm doing cpm yaw turn and skimming a wall, it jolts my mouse back and forth every time, why would it do this? It did this a few times in the middle of my strafe as well, it felt like some bot code or something taking control of my movements if you know what I mean.

It also just feels different, like there's no smoothing between frames or something. This raises a question though, is this engine made for offline play? or only online?

edit1: I also don't see the velocity snapping hud to be too helpful since a "strafe point" is a movement that needs to be hit in a shorter time than any human's reflexes, and it is a short movement from point A to B and depends on player speed, there are also some really tiny and less obvious angles. I suppose it will help people who need to learn what velocity snapping is about, but...

...I think I'll stick with dfengine, simpler is better imo, and I prefer to play intuitively by feel, all these additional things I don't need :(

edit2: it isn't saving demos properly either, I made a demo, it saved with correct filename and time, when I play it... I spawn and it stops, lol.

Incase the question arises... I'm using win7 x64 ultimate. I already run dfengine in compatability mode without any issues. The symptoms seem unrelated to the point where if it is working perfectly fine for other people, I would assume my OS is the problem (already assuming), either that or some ATI or razer drivers (1000hz poll rate blackwidow keyboard), or my 500hz poll rate driver on my mx518... or all of the above. Any ideas?
RaneFire

Postby Nt.run » Mar 11th, '12, 9:55 pm

/xTc/RaneFire wrote:I tried this engine today, and it seemed to be good at first glance, but when I tried to play with it offline... it does weird things with my mouse. For instance whenever I'm doing cpm yaw turn and skimming a wall, it jolts my mouse back and forth every time, why would it do this? It did this a few times in the middle of my strafe as well, it felt like some bot code or something taking control of my movements if you know what I mean.
There is certainly no code that can interfere with player and no difference between online and offline. However, I've had similar issues too, SDL provides pretty low quality mouse input. Raw input feels much better, same as dfengine for me.

So here is an update:
Windows, Linux

Added raw input for Windows (in_mouse 3)
    changed vars prefix from scr_hud to iodfe_hud
    window position can be defined with r_xpos and r_ypos
    + in_keyboardRepeatDelay, in_keyboardRepeatInterval
    + added some widescreen modes to /modelist
    + con_notifylines, con_notifykeep, con_notifyx, con_notifyy - additional settings for chat notification lines
    autodownload now starts demo after downloading map
    fixed some little bugs, some still remains though
Nt.run

Postby TittenIgnition » Mar 11th, '12, 11:54 pm

Nt.run wrote:Added raw input for Windows (in_mouse 3)

Isn't in_mouse -1 already a thing?
window position can be defined with r_xpos and r_ypos

Isn't vid_xpos and vid_ypos already a thing?
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby Nt.run » Mar 12th, '12, 12:16 am

TittenIgnition wrote:Isn't in_mouse -1 already a thing?
-1 works only in q3/dfengine and is even worse than default ioq3 input i think.
TittenIgnition wrote:Isn't vid_xpos and vid_ypos already a thing?
Works only in q3/dfengine.
Nt.run

Postby oranje » Mar 12th, '12, 12:28 am

Thank you for the great update run! All the things I wanted, and more. :D
oranje

Postby RaneFire » Mar 13th, '12, 12:24 am

Thanks run, gonna try this again.
RaneFire

PreviousNext