Board index DeFRaG DeFRaG in general

iodfe

Are you really the best?

Re: iodfe

Postby <hk> » Nov 7th, '11, 8:13 pm

amt-morbus wrote:
eS-AL|EN wrote:So the engine would wait for map download and then start to play demo without force player to start it again.

+1

You are a bunch of wussies. Is it really so hard to lower the console download that map and click on that demo again?
Downloading a map while the demo is already playing( you have to play it to know the map) is not trivial.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby TittenIgnition » Nov 7th, '11, 8:19 pm

<hk> wrote:
amt-morbus wrote:
eS-AL|EN wrote:So the engine would wait for map download and then start to play demo without force player to start it again.

+1

You are a bunch of wussies. Is it really so hard to lower the console download that map and click on that demo again?
Downloading a map while the demo is already playing( you have to play it to know the map) is not trivial.

It's not that big a deal to "manually" do it all, but it's a lot (A LOT) easier if the game does it for us.

Anyway, since this engine has the "run hud" in it, the next step would be go make the gazhud engine-based, so we can have that in other mods :DD
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby <hk> » Nov 7th, '11, 9:27 pm

The problem is predicting playerstates. The game(mod) has data the client(engine) does not have.
What you get as a client is only the snapshot with the latest playerstate from the server.
Now this is not a problem, when you are playing offline but gets pretty annoying when the ping is increasing. In online play the hud relies on data from the server that is several milliseconds behind and therefore useless. The velocity snapping hud works anyway because it's not based on stuff like player velocity vectors. The gaz hud however is.
The original gazhud used to have this problem until cgg switched to predicted playerstates which he can do no problem from within game(mod).
You cannot port it to the client(engine) UNLESS you do all the playerstate prediction _again_ in the client. The computer can handle it but you have to have the physics source code we only have partials at best.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby like@boss » Nov 7th, '11, 11:55 pm

thanks run :clap:
like@boss

Postby AL!EN » Nov 21st, '11, 9:21 pm

<hk> wrote:
amt-morbus wrote:

+1

But yo don't have to download a map before connecting to server, right ? I want the same thing for demos playing. If you can avoid manual map download, then why now ? It is a nice improvement.
"strafe is the most important 'weapon' in defrag" - <hk>
AL!EN

Postby AL!EN » Nov 23rd, '11, 7:10 pm

Nt.run wrote:ioq3's default home path differs from q3 folder, you can set it back by running the engine with +set fs_homepath "path to your q3 folder" key

If you change this to old behavior (like quake3, DFEngine and cnq3) then i will switch DFEngine to ioDFE in PRO Installer ;)
AL!EN

Postby DF/// ifoo » Nov 23rd, '11, 9:26 pm

I've got dfengine 1.08 or 1.08f, and it DOES download the map before playing a demo.
DF/// ifoo

Postby AL!EN » Nov 24th, '11, 10:50 pm

DF/// ifoo wrote:I've got dfengine 1.08 or 1.08f, and it DOES download the map before playing a demo.

Movie or didn't happen :evil:
AL!EN

Postby WreCkeR » Nov 27th, '11, 2:59 am

Heya. Can i ask a little explenation on the velocity snapping hud? Whats it for and what does it show??

I played defrag 6 years ago and all i can remember is the cgaz hud and never heard about velocitysnapping before :P
WreCkeR

Postby <hk> » Nov 27th, '11, 7:40 am

This thread goes into detail.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

PreviousNext