Board index DeFRaG DeFRaG in general

The future of defrag

Are you really the best?

The future of defrag

Postby BeRsErKeR » May 11th, '12, 11:58 am

Hey guys,

I start a new thread because the old thread "New Entities" doesn't really fit the whole process that is going on. The future of defrag is more than a few new entities and bugfixes. And also it's no topic that should discussed in the map section.

I proudly could announce that marky, cgg and me are very active at the moment. The mailing list is alive once again and the best thing, we talk about something that was missing for too long: a central defrag website.

At the moment we are still planing and discussing. But there will be a blog for sure. Also the releases will be hosted there and hopefully we got a wiki and forum. I also emphasized to cgg how important it is that this website will be online for a long time (not as cggdev.org and other defrag pages).

I will keep you up to date here from now on. About defrag development and other news related to defrag.

I'm very happy to know that cgg will do his bit to improve defrag once again.

Stay tuned!
BeRsErKeR

Re: The future of defrag

Postby wubwub » May 11th, '12, 4:33 pm

keep us posted :}
wubwub

Postby [gt]glm » May 11th, '12, 4:34 pm

kewl! 8-)
[gt]glm

Postby AL!EN » May 11th, '12, 4:40 pm

:o :shock:
"strafe is the most important 'weapon' in defrag" - <hk>
AL!EN

Postby BeRsErKeR » May 11th, '12, 6:43 pm

Our first plans focus on a tumblr account and a wiki. Please be patient as such things will take some time and coding still has higher priority. Eventually (this isn't really sure at this moment) we will involve additional people to setup, administrate or moderate the wiki or a bulletin board. But don't get too euphoric. We make plans and hopefully will realize those plans asap. A precise schedule about this is not available at the moment.
BeRsErKeR

Postby Phoenix » May 12th, '12, 7:06 am

Doubt it's needed but I can volunteer some time to help out with whatever. Just let me know.
Phoenix

Postby RetroHelix » May 12th, '12, 8:51 am

We already have a forum here and over at defrag.ru, there really is no need to open a new one. About the central defrag website, a blog is a good idea. Just a site that lets the developers speak to the community. New releases could be hosted on bdhq and dfru. I also would appreciate a link to a defrag binary on this site.
A wiki for defrag would be great, all documentation and information in one place. But since this is much work for something that is mostly covered in the readmes already, a small "how to getting started with defrag" should be enough.

It's nice to hear that there is some development but I'm a bit skeptical. As many other online projects there comes a time were your dedication will cease again (as seen in the past). Would be a shame if this happens during development of a new version. And who knows what RL brings. So hurry up and get done what you can till then^^

Good luck.
RetroHelix

Postby AL!EN » May 12th, '12, 1:03 pm

Defrag.ru is not in a way a forum for all Defrag players. If you know how much shit i must trough only to be able to make single post, you would also know that this board is also not good place for Defrag community. Besides, HK always say that this site and board is only for mDd servers etc.

RetroHelix wrote:I also would appreciate a link to a defrag binary on this site.

People asking about this and other similar improvements since 3 years and the answer was always "this is not Defrag site". Many people offer free help and it was rejected because "because".

New Defrag releases could be hosted even at http://www.insertsomerandomadresshere.tk but the best place for it is at official site - simple as that. And that is what i believe, Defrag needs today. A site where everyone can improve, everyone can help and everyone know what is going on. A site where there will be "Install Defrag/Download Defrag" page at last !

All Defrag redmes needs to be updated, dowing this in *.txt files inside zip exept in a open Wiki is a nonsense.

Even if i don't know html/css/php/ajax/JS/JQuery/Flash i can still serve by ability to make this: http://www.mojamiranda.pl
- joomla as main page
- heavy modified phpbb3 with over 80 mods for improvements
- Files section
- Wiki

And all of those part of the site are operating with single registration and single login Pretty neat :twisted:
"strafe is the most important 'weapon' in defrag" - <hk>
AL!EN

Postby amt-morbus » May 12th, '12, 2:53 pm

I agree with alien. If you want to look up any information about defrag, it should not be necessary to download df and work your way through quadrillions of .txt files.

The best possible solution in my opinion is to have everything centralised. Df wiki,downloads :mrgreen: (defrag and maps, demos), serverlist and forum (not "board"!) :lol: .

Ok, that is damn unlikely.
amt-morbus

Postby BeRsErKeR » May 12th, '12, 3:32 pm

RetroHelix wrote:We already have a forum here and over at defrag.ru, there really is no need to open a new one.

I think only a few people know or even visit this board. And defrag.ru is more intended for russian defraggers. And I'm not the only one who don't understand the russian language for sure.

RetroHelix wrote:New releases could be hosted on bdhq and dfru. I also would appreciate a link to a defrag binary on this site.

Of course new release could be hosted there too but why not host it on a "official" defrag page? More hosters also improve the availability. Moreover cgg already has a website where things are hosted. It would be no additional effort to do so. ;)

RetroHelix wrote:A wiki for defrag would be great, all documentation and information in one place. But since this is much work for something that is mostly covered in the readmes already, a small "how to getting started with defrag" should be enough.

A wiki is also great to involve the community into the process of documentation. Everyone can do his bit. And as already said it's much easier to access and maintain than a bunch of text files.

For the reason that there are new entities and also new values/flags for existing entities I think it would be good to have precise information about it in the wiki as well. Like mapping guidelines, examples, tricks and details about the new entities/values.

RetroHelix wrote:It's nice to hear that there is some development but I'm a bit skeptical. As many other online projects there comes a time were your dedication will cease again (as seen in the past). Would be a shame if this happens during development of a new version. And who knows what RL brings. So hurry up and get done what you can till then^^

You are right. For that reason I want to get results as soon as possible. I also don't know how long I'm able to motivate cgg to work on those things and how long my own motivation will last. But I guess this is true for every non-paid project in the world. I will do what I can as long as I can. If a new release will finally take place this would at least be an improvement and worth the efforts of the last month and the time I spent on the code in the past. The current defrag VM is able to run, quite stable and the count of bugs is not as big as it would be unplayable. So this peace of work is existing and even if I will give up in the future there is something new for the community.

In the last email cgg seems more euphoric than I've ever seen him. I guess I've infected him a bit. The decision to involve people for administration of the wiki and such things was appreciated. In that way the developers could focus on coding. Cgg said that he will start working on several defrag things the next days.
BeRsErKeR

Next