Board index DeFRaG How to DeFRaG

velocity snapping

Users helping users.

Re: velocity snapping

Postby TittenIgnition » Apr 26th, '11, 4:52 pm

theres something i dont fully understand about velocity snapping.

the area that you gain the most speed in is a fixed angle that's relative to the x/y grid or w/e, right? fixed, as in, it's the same no matter where you are. it's not like strafing angles that change depending on your speed, and always "follow" you (they dont change when you change directions). so the proper angle to gain the most speed via velocity snapping doesnt ever change.

if anyone who knows what theyre talking about understands what im curious about, please answer. :D
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby <hk> » Apr 26th, '11, 5:22 pm

You are right.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby amt-morbus » Apr 26th, '11, 6:16 pm

Heh, that is an explanation for the slightly worse performance of players on 45° pads...
amt-morbus

Postby bunny » Apr 27th, '11, 5:49 am

try the 45deg lane on fc
you cant even get close to a good time there (=
bunny

Postby amt-morbus » Apr 27th, '11, 5:42 pm

dunno what fc is but in AMT-FS5 I have 16 pad lanes in 45°. With normal strafe technique you'll have a hard time to reach more than level-10.
amt-morbus

Postby TittenIgnition » Apr 27th, '11, 6:05 pm

amt-morbus wrote:dunno what fc is but in AMT-FS5 I have 16 pad lanes in 45°. With normal strafe technique you'll have a hard time to reach more than level-10.

fc = full circle, a map that was uploaded a couple weeks ago to show off velocity snapping. it just has a bunch of hallways at different angles to show how much the angle effects acceleration.
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby RetroHelix » Apr 27th, '11, 7:34 pm

KittenIgnition wrote:
amt-morbus wrote:dunno what fc is but in AMT-FS5 I have 16 pad lanes in 45°. With normal strafe technique you'll have a hard time to reach more than level-10.

fc = full circle, a map that was uploaded a couple weeks ago to show off velocity snapping. it just has a bunch of hallways at different angles to show how much the angle effects acceleration.

Not knowing about such things I feel like there is a hardcore defrag underground scene besides the normal defragfolks. I feel so clueless now.
RetroHelix

Postby TittenIgnition » Apr 27th, '11, 7:38 pm

RetroHelix wrote:
KittenIgnition wrote:

Not knowing about such things I feel like there is a hardcore defrag underground scene besides the normal defragfolks. I feel so clueless now.

theres a lot more to defrag than just strafejumping and rocketjumping and stuff, but not a whole lot of people know about it. im more interested in that than the actual game, though, so i try to learn as much as i can with what i have (i cant read code so i cant really do anything myself).

velocity snapping is simple to understand the basics of, but applying it is really hard. its almost completely useless knowledge for someone like me.
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby <hk> » Apr 27th, '11, 10:19 pm

I took the time to convert setup's graph into something that might be easier to understand. Well, understand not in terms of "understanding the theory", but on how it can be used as an advantage during runs.
Just think of 0 degrees as North and 90 degrees as West or East. It's the same in all directions, though.

The red line represents the speed gain someone should get when strafing according to the math.
The blue line shows what happens to your speed after the velocity is snapped to the grid.

The higher, the better:
velocity_snapping2_2.png

That small peak there has a width of just over 1 degree(11.3 - 12.4). I wouldn't try to hit that. Not with the really bad values right next to it. :)

If someone cares: This is the program I wrote to draw the graph above.
I didn't check the math, though. I just took setup's post as a source.
I'll do it in detail in a few days:
Code: Select all
% 0 to 90 degrees in 0.1 degree steps
degs = 0:0.05:90;
% max velocity gain without velocity snapping
max_gain = 2.56;

% preallocate arrays (for speed)
r_dist = zeros(1,length(degs));
x = zeros(1,length(degs));
y = zeros(1,length(degs));

rads = deg2rad(degs);

% X and Y coordinates of the circle for each angle
for i = 1:length(rads)
    [x(i), y(i)] = pol2cart(rads(i), 2.56);
end

% snap the circle
r_x = round(x);
r_y = round(y);

% vector length after snapping
for i = 1:length(rads)
    r_dist(i) = sqrt(r_x(i)*r_x(i) + r_y(i)*r_y(i));
end

% normalise all values so we can output everything in percent
pr_dist = (r_dist / max_gain) * 100;
line = ones(1, length(degs))*100;

% draw snapped values(blue)
plot(degs, pr_dist, '-b')
hold on

% draw circle radius prior to snapping (red)
plot(degs, line, '-r')
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby amt-morbus » Apr 29th, '11, 1:49 pm

So half-beat strafing would be good if you want to use the 11° area!?
amt-morbus

PreviousNext