Board index mDd Board The q3df.org website

Callvote reset DB F1 or F2 ?

Everything related to the mDd website goes here.

Move mDd times into !oldtop and start a fresh database?

Yes
68%
No
32%

Total votes : 99

Re: Callvote reset DB F1 or F2 ?

Postby SupYO » May 9th, '10, 10:52 pm

im all for a new database considering
SupYO

Postby aDrlol » May 10th, '10, 12:27 am

F1
aDrlol

Postby dont hate » May 10th, '10, 4:29 am

let's do it!!
dont hate

Postby like@boss » May 10th, '10, 8:48 am

If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.
like@boss

Postby |PsY|blumen » May 10th, '10, 12:40 pm

so lets say, if we reach a 100 votes there will be new db?
|PsY|blumen
sparkle bunny

Postby ZyaX » May 10th, '10, 2:40 pm

Before I wall of text you, I shall admit that I think that I have most times set on this db. Most of those are in fastcaps cpm mode 1, so I guess that doesn't count does it? :P
So I guess what will naturally spring to mind as you see that I am advocating F2, is that I am simply saying that because I don't want my times deleted. Whether or not you choose to believe me, I say now that I am not concerned about my own times, more than I am about this scoreboard, which is an integral part of what little remains of this once blossoming community. Therefore I strongly hope that any further decisions about the issue at hand will be conducive, and not detrimental for the online part of the community.

dS-atom wrote:Yea, like the topic says, the question is if its time to make the current top as an "oldtop" instead.

My opinion is that we have to much old times from players that arent active and hasnt been for years. So, if you want to compete against the current active players and see which level you're on in the foodchain? then this could help sort out the old dust and bring in todays maniacs instead!

This would also open up hundreds of old maps which will be empty of times and ready to be taken by todays active players!

F1

What does it matter if players are not active? The purpose of this scoreboard was never so that you could compare how good you were compared to active players, it was probably never defined either. But of course it's an implicit notion. And what if I set a really awesome time, should that time be considered a time of the past and people that play one year later shouldn't be compared to it?

Open up hundreds of old maps? Sort out the old dust? What the fuck are you talking about?
Why do you want to celebrate mediocrity? Just because you close your eyes to the previous top10 doesn't mean that any new time you set there that is rank 1 is the best time ever set. This does not open old maps. There are tons of maps that don't have a single time set on them just because they are really old, even though there is a huge oldtop on those maps. This will not change with a reset, and it is also more likely that the same thing will happen to semi-old maps. Then players will only play the newest maps that are released from now on, then even if you stumble upon an old map, no player will probably want to spend time on getting 1/1, that no one will play in the future.
Don't dispute this fact, because this is how we players think most of the time. The scoreboards are there as proof.

There is nothing stopping you from playing any map on the servers and setting a time on it TODAY.

/a/ wrote:Also we'd start clean with server demos for all times and no scripted times.

Anyway, F1.

If you want to reset the db because it will be a cheat free scoreboard from that point on, then you should first make sure that you are able to and will be able to bust every cheated demo to be recorded from that point on. As far as I know we are not able to even detect every cheat that exists, let alone know of every cheat. What if we wipe it now and then in a few months or years, a new, previously unknown method of cheating will come to our attention, shall we then wipe the db again and start over again? And this process shall be repeated over and over? Because according to the gurus of defrag, we have not yet discovered everything in the game. Be it cheat or legit technique. Just take the gb for example.
I think it will turn out as a big fat joke and a lot of people will be very discouraged to know that they have to start over from scratch. So in trying to battle the cheaters in this manner, you are only attacking yourself and what you originally wanted to defend.

And even if this current scoreboard will turn into some oldtop that you can view with a special command, like today's oldtop, it will be even more disregarded than today's oldtop. Because people will know that we removed that top explicitly to eradicate any unknown cheated times, and will therefore regard all the times there as cheated. So why would you want to keep a "cheated" oldtop available for people to see?
Sure, the current oldtop may have been infested with a lot of lag cheats through teleporters, but those are easily spotted. Compare that to how many people used strafe bots at that time, there were much fewer players whom had access to such tools back then, or? So when I play a map and look at the oldtop today and the map doesn't have any possible lag cheats or stairs, then I believe that most of those times in that oldtop are more legit than cheat. But someone could perhaps prove me wrong with saying that "everyone" strafe botted back on those days. ^^

All in all, I don't think that wiping the current db will give us any overall gain seen in the bigger picture.
ZyaX
Voice of Reason

Postby Mystic » May 10th, '10, 2:50 pm

what zyax said except me or lovet have most times :)
Mystic

Postby ZyaX » May 10th, '10, 3:38 pm

Mystic wrote:what zyax said except me or lovet have most times :)

Doh! How could I forget you and lovet. Lovet even told me no the other day when I said it, but didn't say anything more :P
But I guess I'm third then! (crosses fingers)
ZyaX
Voice of Reason

Postby dS-atom » May 10th, '10, 4:59 pm

That was a huge comment zyax :o yea well, i understand your point but as usual im bad at explaining myself in a good way.. hm, let say it this way: We have the olympic games (winter for example) is held every 4th year. right? or winter/summer held every 2th year.. anyway, for each tournament we have participants who compete in the olympics, they get results/times/ranks etc. When olympic is over we have winners in each field/group

Take these groups as en example but in defrag, we have for example vq3, cpm, fc and ctf..
We log times and ranks for years and reach a certain rank just like the participants in the olympic games, so when the games is over, their times/ranks get archieved and remembered for further competes or history BUT they will not be used for the next tournament.

After that there is a new OS held (with "db" restored") and the new competition can begin with this years participants competing.. STILL, you can if you want to.. write "oldtop or what ever and you can check your time with the stored times if the history is so important..

Just like every competition, you can look back on the results from earlier competitions, but it is just logic that you reset the earlier results before beginning a new competition..

So what is the problem? every damn competition in the world is like this? I know there will be comments like "defrag is not a competition, i play for fun" yea, there is probably a very few playing just for fun but the majority of active players actually compete and that is a fact what ever you like it or not.

So the question is, how long should this competition last before we reset it?
So why not atleast give the new players that have joined the defrag community lately a chance to compete against all from the very beginning?

PS. I know you have unlimited chances to beat what ever you want to beat in this particular competition but that is not the point. Its more like, atleast for me when i compete in martial arts when i attend a tournament i get pumped up with a lot of energy to give my best.. but if you already competed in the same tournament for 3-4 years in a row, it starts to get pretty rotten and unstimulated..
dS-atom

Postby $$-albion » May 10th, '10, 5:24 pm

dS-atom wrote:That was a huge comment zyax :o yea well, i understand your point but as usual im bad at explaining myself in a good way.. hm, let say it this way: We have the olympic games (winter for example) is held every 4th year. right? or winter/summer held every 2th year.. anyway, for each tournament we have participants who compete in the olympics, they get results/times/ranks etc. When olympic is over we have winners in each field/group

Take these groups as en example but in defrag, we have for example vq3, cpm, fc and ctf..
We log times and ranks for years and reach a certain rank just like the participants in the olympic games, so when the games is over, their times/ranks get archieved and remembered for further competes or history BUT they will not be used for the next tournament.

After that there is a new OS held (with "db" restored") and the new competition can begin with this years participants competing.. STILL, you can if you want to.. write "oldtop or what ever and you can check your time with the stored times if the history is so important..

Just like every competition, you can look back on the results from earlier competitions, but it is just logic that you reset the earlier results before beginning a new competition..

So what is the problem? every damn competition in the world is like this? I know there will be comments like "defrag is not a competition, i play for fun" yea, there is probably a very few playing just for fun but the majority of active players actually compete and that is a fact what ever you like it or not.

So the question is, how long should this competition last before we reset it?
So why not atleast give the new players that have joined the defrag community lately a chance to compete against all from the very beginning?

PS. I know you have unlimited chances to beat what ever you want to beat in this particular competition but that is not the point. Its more like, atleast for me when i compete in martial arts when i attend a tournament i get pumped up with a lot of energy to give my best.. but if you already competed in the same tournament for 3-4 years in a row, it starts to get pretty rotten and unstimulated..

defrag is not a competition, i play for fun.

Also, what's up with all these MEGA posts? If you plan to make a megapost atleast put a tl;dr at the end with the keywords :p
$$-albion

PreviousNext