Board index DeFRaG DeFRaG in general

The future of defrag

Are you really the best?

Re: The future of defrag

Postby <hk> » May 12th, '12, 5:56 pm

We could close down our general defrag related forum parts and move the threads to the official forum. nothing would be lost and this forum would be about mDd stuff only again.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby BeRsErKeR » May 13th, '12, 12:53 am

Some recommendation for a good wiki provider?

Today shio and I focused on testing maps with a large amount of doors. Found some unlovely behaviors and bugs related to the increased entity and submodel count. The VM and the engine limit the entity count to 1022 and the submodel count to 256. In the old version of client-dependent entities this amounts were reached quiet fast. A map with 100 touchable doors was producing 200 entities per client (100 doors and 100 door-triggers). So basically the entitiy limit was reached with 5 clients (not to mention that there are other entities). Also each door of each client used a submodel-slot so the third client could only see 56 doors instead of 100. This was fixed today (I guess it took me 7-8 hours). Now the submodels are shared between all client-doors so the amount of clients will not affect the limit. And the door-triggers are only spawned once per door. We also have the plan to realize door-touching without an additional trigger-entity (the base q3 code simply spawns a trigger-entity around the door!) to reduce the entity limit more further. Of course this would be introduced as a spawnflag to be compatible with existing maps. Any change we make takes care of compatibility.

Moreover it is planned to make the new trains client-dependent too and maybe other func-entities and items.

Some other things happened the last days: I improved the shooters and doors to make them more useful for maps. For example now even shooters can interact with client-dependent doors in a correct way. Client-dependent doors can be reset (e.g. closed) when the player dies. This will also be possible for trains. In that way maps could be retried without the need of a complete map restart (which is painful on servers :D ).

We also plan an intelligent behavior for client-login if client-dependent entities are enabled. Consider the case that 20 clients connect to a server with a map with 100 doors. The server will shut down because the entity limit is reached. This isn't very joyful or desirable. It would be cooler if the VM detects that the next login of a client would lead to an entity limit exceeding and force the new client to be a spectator instead. Moreover client-dependent entities will not spawn when a client connects but if the client spawns as a non-spectator. You could have unlimited spectators on the map and won't be able to crash the server by connecting too much clients to a map with client-dependent entities.
BeRsErKeR

Postby <hk> » May 13th, '12, 7:16 am

There is this bug on our servers, that rejects connecting clients with the error message "bad command byte". It only happens on very large maps like "northrun". On these maps only a few players( ~3) can connect.

My guess is that it has something to do with the entity limit.
"bad command byte" is an error that shouldn't occur at all because it's server related which I consider stable(ioquake3), and the solution isn't obvious to me. Maybe we made some mistakes in our proxymod when handing over pointers to various structures. It could also be defrag related. Please keep that in mind in case you run into similar problems.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby stupidfresh » May 19th, '12, 5:30 pm

wish you would make all the weapon entities (rockets, grenades, plasmas) available after you kill yourself, like it was in the original quake 3. now they just dissapear after kill/spawn. would be useful for freestyle alot. PLAEZ MAKE IT HAPPEN!
stupidfresh

Postby $$-albion » May 20th, '12, 1:25 pm

BeRsErKeR wrote:Some recommendation for a good wiki provider?

A commonly used platform for a free wiki is http://www.wikia.com/Wikia. If you want examples, just type the name of a game, comic/movie universe, etc.. followed by "wikia" in google.
$$-albion

Postby AL!EN » May 20th, '12, 9:28 pm

$$-albion wrote:

A commonly used platform for a free wiki is http://www.wikia.com/Wikia. If you want examples, just type the name of a game, comic/movie universe, etc.. followed by "wikia" in google.

Excellent choice !
"strafe is the most important 'weapon' in defrag" - <hk>
AL!EN

Postby Nt.run » May 21st, '12, 4:50 am

Nt.run

Postby bunny » May 21st, '12, 11:51 am

AL|EN wrote:
$$-albion wrote:

Excellent choice !

disagreed
real Crysis Warhead.
penis.
bunny

Postby <hk> » May 21st, '12, 12:40 pm

When you are just looking for hosting space, we can provide that. My root server will stay up for years and years.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby BeRsErKeR » May 21st, '12, 1:58 pm

-O-RbK wrote:wish you would make all the weapon entities (rockets, grenades, plasmas) available after you kill yourself, like it was in the original quake 3. now they just dissapear after kill/spawn. would be useful for freestyle alot. PLAEZ MAKE IT HAPPEN!

I work on several things that should reset after kill yourself or get killed. Especially client-dependent entities like doors and buttons (and later trains) and also triggers and targets will be resettet after death so you can replay a map without the need of restarting the map. I also plan to realize such things with teleports (like a more powerful target_init and so on). I will also have a look at weapons/items.

About the wiki: wikia is off the table mainly because of the ads. Cgg is on vacation for a few days. We will see.
BeRsErKeR

PreviousNext