Board index DeFRaG Movies

Glossar

Let's talk about defrag movies

Glossar

Postby <hk> » Dec 16th, '10, 8:00 pm

Contractions
frame
A frame is the quake internal unit of time. Since defrag has a fixed progression of time (frame rate), one frame takes exactly 0.008 seconds to render. Which equals a framerate of 125 frames per second(fps).

ups
Units Per Second: Sometimes written as "u/s" is the quake internal unit of speed. The standard running speed is 320 u/s.

TAS
Tool Assisted Speedrun: A run that was done by the aid of one ore multiple tools that would be prohibited by the common rule set. Usually these runs are not possible to perform by a human without above mentioned aids.

b2b
Blue 2 Bonus: This is the name of a specific very hard secret pad lane on the map bliss-beta2a.

o2b
Orange 2 Bonus: This is the name of a specific secret pad lane on the map bliss-beta2a. It's even harder as b2b.

Techniques
Airstrafe:
A way of accelerating beyond the 320 u/s limit while spending a long time mid air. It's no different from regular strafing but for the time the player has to switch the side he's looking to correct the strafe direction.

(Over-)Bounce
Effect that enables the player to preserve the falling speed and switch it to a direction of his choice. The player must not press the jump key on impact.
Overbounces(OB) are devided into the following cathegories:
  1. Horizontal OverBounce(HOB): Falling speed will be added to the current movement direction on the X-Y plane. It's a horizontal boost.
  2. Vertical OverBounce(VOB): Falling speed will be directed upwards and makes the player go up the same height he fell before.
  3. Diagonal OverBounce(DOB): Falling speed is directed into a combination of vertical and horizontal movement. Hard to do free hand.
  4. (WOB):
  5. Zero Weird OverBounce(ZWOB): Diagonal Overbounce done by falling strait down and moving the mouse with +strafe active. The player has to have less than 1 u/s speed on impact.
There is also differentiation between the various ways to get a bounce. Bounces are often named after the way a player gets them and not how the bug is used(see list above). The defrag buildin overbounce detector shows the following values:
  • Go(G): You have to just walk of the ledge you are currently standing on without jumping to get a bounce where your crosshair is pointing to at the moment.
  • Jump(J): You have to jump of the ledge you are currently standing on to get this bounce.
  • (B): Not really a bounce type. You are midair(or sticky) and a bounce is right below you in case you fall strait down.
  • plasma(p): You have to fire the plasmagun at your feet without jumping to get this bounce
  • plasma hop(P): You have to fire the plasmagun at your feet, jump and get up to maximum height (78u) until you fall.
  • rocket(r): You have to fire the rocketlauncher at your feet without jumping to get this bounce.
  • rocket jump(R): You have to fire the rocket launcher at your feet, jump and get up to maximum height until you fall.
  • Sticky(s): A persistant minibounce. The player floats less than 1u over the ground. When he jumps he gets the overbounce the next time he touches a surface at the same height. Often used to get a boost at the start of a strafe. This can be combined with the above bounces.
  • Quaded(q): You need quad damage for this bounce. Can be combined with the above.

Circlejump(CJ):
It's used at the beginning of every strafejump.
Walk a circle on the ground, jumping and air strafing until the first ground touch is called a circlejump.

Edgesliding:
An obscure bug that can extremely rarely be used in a run. The player slides along the edge of a brush without friction. The only known map for it to be useful is "w3sp-think9" which was designed that way.

(Camping-)Gazhud
Defrag buildin grafical element that helps players finding the right mousemovement for strafing.
It does not correct for velocity snapping.

Groundboost(GB):

A way to slide over regular floor without being slowed down by friction. This state lasts only a few frames but can be abused to accelerate to significant velocities(~1000u/s). The duration of the slide is relative to the ammount of damage/knockback the player takes when the slide starts. The groundboost is only useful in CPM where the acceleration is greater by far. There are uses in VQ3 but they are rather obscure.
Common: Fire at the ground right before landing or push your self into the floor with a rocketlauncher. The key here is to take damage as you are on the ground.

HeroHit(HH):

Run into a wall intentionally. Sometimes when you can't get around a corner without extreme deceleration you run into the wall at full speed. It's not a bug or trick but a technique. You are just fast up until the very last moment you hit the wall and save time. No deceleration to get a corner right but just be fast and accept the fact that you will be slow after the corner. Only useful in VQ3. (Used on "cpmjump" in VQ3 mode)
herohit_diagram.png

Ramping:
Also refered to as "step-up".
Effect that extends the air time of a jump by falling past an edge and suddenly being pushed onto the edge again. Essential for every hard pad strafe map. The game thinks you are on a stair and therefore pushes you onto the next step which is the pad.
ramp_diagram.png

Skimming:
Rarely refered to as "corner clipping".
Method to widen a turn by jumping against a wall intentionally, eventually loosing less speed than by avoiding the wall.
After jumping off the ground you have a few frames to run into a wall and not being stopped by it. Instead you slide along it and resume your original direction as soon as you are clear of the wall. The wall does not alter the path of the player even though you hit it. It's a common misconception that the player is going through the corner of the wall. This is not the case.
skim_diagram.png

Strafejump(strafe):
Complex way of movement used to speed up beyond 320 u/s without using any weapons.
The player holds down the strafe keys and turns the mouse to exploit a bug in the vector lengh computation. For more information see: How does Strafing work(not there yet). At higher speeds another bug becomes relevant that takes advantage of rounding errors. It is called "Velocity snapping".

Velocity Snapping:
While strafing the player takes advantage of rounding errors made by the game to save network bandwidth. The player keeps the movement vector pointing in certain directions while gaining speed via strafejumping. At high speeds (+2000 u/s) it becomes essintial to maintain speed.

Savepos:
Defrag buildin feature to store and load player positions. It is used to teleport a player back to a previously defined location to retry a failed trickjump. It requires sv_cheats to be 1. The documentation on how to use it is in the "defrag/docs"-folder

This post will be extended.
Todo:
  • Rocket/GranadeJump
  • Plasmaclimb
  • Rebounce/Walllingering
  • Z-Rebounce (think17 trick)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Glossar

Postby Po0dle » Dec 16th, '10, 8:00 pm

This still leaves me in the dark as to what skimming, edgesliding and ramping is :s

Post moved here from another thread
Po0dle

Glossar

Postby Phoenix » Dec 16th, '10, 8:33 pm

Skimming is when you clear a gap without jumping.
Ramping is when you strafe into or use an OB into some sort of angled brush (essentially a ramp) to gain height.

No clue what edgesliding is, at least not by name.

Phoenix

Re: How defrag tricks work

Postby <hk> » Dec 16th, '10, 9:45 pm

Phoenix wrote:Skimming is when you clear a gap without jumping.

Skimming is running into a corner intentionally, sliding along the wall until you clear the corner and resume your original direction. In CPM they do it at almost every corner :).

Phoenix wrote:Ramping is when you strafe into or use an OB into some sort of angled brush (essentially a ramp) to gain height.

Not at all.
Ramping is when you strafe and don't make it onto the next pad. You fall down in front of it but the game thinks you are walking up a stair so you just ramp back onto the pad. It's essential for advanced pad strafing on most maps.

Edgesliding is when you... slide along an edge without friction. You use it for "w3sp-think9"

<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby Phoenix » Dec 16th, '10, 10:51 pm

Meh, random guess at ramping but I consider my definition of skimming to be correct. I don't have any demos off hand but there's a common one performed on dm6 and MF or cgaz had a demo of one on opc2.

I'd define what you're describing as "wall skimming" or "wall clipping". Maybe I'm just crazy :lol:
Phoenix

Postby Po0dle » Dec 16th, '10, 11:57 pm

<hk> wrote:
Phoenix wrote:Skimming is when you clear a gap without jumping.

Skimming is running into a corner intentionally, sliding along the wall until you clear the corner and resume your original direction. In CPM they do it at almost every corner :).

Oh, I thought you called it rebouncing. What's rebouncing then? And groundboost (gazboost?)?

Po0dle

Re: Glossar

Postby Arcaon » Dec 17th, '10, 10:34 am

Cool idea. ;) Some descriptions are vague or misleading though.

A circle jump is used to start a set of strafejumps, not every strafejump. Strafing, not strafeing.
Mouse movements don't have to be synchronized to the strafejumps.
It should be clarified that the player comes from above in the *skim illustration.
The main thing about a GB is that you gain speed by it, not that you slide without friction.

Just a few things, I could contribute to the writing if desired.
Arcaon

Postby Phoenix » Dec 17th, '10, 12:28 pm

I still think what you're describing is better defined as a wall skim.

To me, this is a skim in its most basic form.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phoenix

Postby <hk> » Dec 17th, '10, 2:01 pm

(: a wrote:Cool idea. ;) Some descriptions are vague or misleading though.

Sure they are rough. I don't want to explain the trick in detail here. That's what the other threads in "How to Defrag" are for.

Phoenix wrote:To me, this is a skim in its most basic form.

The effect shown in the demo is called ramping. But hey, that's just how I learned it. We better make this consistent. I don't want any "(also know as X or Y or Z)" in there.

Abnormal naming i.e. Plasmahop(phop) instead of Plasmajump(PJ) as you would guess from knowing Granade jump(GJ) or Rocket jump(RJ) is all over the place in defrag.

(: a wrote:Just a few things, I could contribute to the writing if desired.

That's the whole point of this thread. Go ahead.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby 742617000027 » Dec 17th, '10, 3:58 pm

Phoenix wrote:Meh, random guess at ramping but I consider my definition of skimming to be correct.

Never heard of 'skimming' in that context.

Next