Board index DeFRaG Competitions DFWC 2017

DFWC 2017 - Maps

Which one is your favorite map? (Vote up to 3)

Round 1 by ImOor
7%
Round 2 by NaturalSpringWater
4%
Round 3 by kairos & zapadlo
13%
Round 4 by Nik
17%
Round 5 by Kabcorp
26%
Round 6 by Noodles
27%
Round 7 by Zapadlo
6%

Total votes : 102

Postby DrewRose » Nov 22nd, '17, 11:34 pm

Last edited by DrewRose on Dec 8th, '17, 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
DrewRose

Re: DFWC 2017 - Maps

Postby /cdtu/xas » Nov 23rd, '17, 8:45 am

gorgeously enormous map with non-technical terrain designs as expected from n1k. i kind of like such design concept that forces players to adjust their movement to the map instead of the opposite. would be more interesting if some weapon ammo is involved imo.

edit: played a bit more and found vq3 gameplay really interesting. haven't checked cpm yet. will try to connect everything i can do this time instead of giving up this and that for lack of motivation like map 2.

edit2: started to play cpm and the gameplay for me is weird. there are special movement setups for cpm but there's still too few of them which means you either take that route or have trouble finding your next step. brainstorm map for cpm i'd say, all routes possible i can find are from noob to intermediate and then jump to expert all of a sudden, no advanced or something like that, it's totally beyond my reach. gl everyone
Last edited by /cdtu/xas on Nov 24th, '17, 6:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
/cdtu/xas

Postby demon0r » Nov 23rd, '17, 11:51 am

Map 4. I respect n1k as a player and as a mapper, he's created many super fun maps (especially combo ones), but this one...

It's great DFWC map, let's just stop at that. Spacing of the obstacles is off forcing you to either slow down to not overjump or speed the hell up to skip some of the obstacles. The flow of the map in vq3 is garbage. A million uprawd ramps render this map a slog (like, what's the trend of this DFWC to use upward ramps, buttons, no bounces of any kind, combo maps are more strafe maps than combo, etc). And on top of all that, this map is just too long and not fun to play for me. So yea, as a DFWC map 8/10, as a map 2/10, I'm done with it already :P

EDIT: well, maybe I was a bit too harsh about it :P The map is not bad dude :P
Last edited by demon0r on Nov 26th, '17, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
demon0r

Postby w-w » Nov 23rd, '17, 4:14 pm

strafe only maps are here to fill some quota? Probably the only n1k map I've played that has no weapons. Similar to round 2, cool looking map, not very exciting to play.
w-w

Postby DrewRose » Nov 30th, '17, 4:18 am

Last edited by DrewRose on Dec 8th, '17, 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
DrewRose

Postby gnj » Nov 30th, '17, 2:51 pm

DrewRose wrote:I loved the atmospheres on those previous maps by everyone, (imoor, springy, kairos and zapadlo, n1k) but KABCORP says, unapologetically, you are on a DeFRaG map b#@ch! The story don't matter dude, you need to get to finish line ASAP. The design looks awesome. Aesthetics are great. And it's clear that this is a map for no funny business, it's a weapons map for sure and you gotta work at it.

Yep, really cool map! From the maps we've seen yet, this is my favorite BY FAR, nicely done Kabcorp! :clap:

BTW: "\respawnpoint set" helps with the double spawn
gnj

Postby /cdtu/xas » Nov 30th, '17, 6:36 pm

played map 5 several hours straight till my mouse went off.
pretty addictive gameplay, reminds me of 04-7.
/cdtu/xas

Postby demon0r » Nov 30th, '17, 7:00 pm

Map 5 - the best map so far in this DFWC imo. Great flow, interesting variance, and it's also good looking. It's the kind of map that enables insanely crazy demos to happen, can't wait to see the results of this one :)
demon0r

Postby wubwub » Dec 1st, '17, 12:43 am

DrewRose wrote:the shortcut on map one that skipped the double rj

hmm
wubwub

Postby DsC_Creep » Dec 2nd, '17, 4:07 pm

Unfortunately I barely had time to play. But I'd like to record my thoughts nonetheless.

Map 2017-04 looks pretty neat. Gameplay doesn't really suit me, but it's much better than 02 (haven't played vq3 so far). It's a pretty straight-forward map with a surprising amount of variance to uncover.

Pretty nice.
5.5/7

2017-05 is fucking brutal. It looks nice, it has a ton of options, it's pretty long but doesn't really outstay it's welcome. It's pretty much a perfect dfwc map as far as I'm concerned. It's a shame I won't have nearly as much time to spend, as I would like. But I am soo looking forward to the demos of people who are actually good at the game. As for the visuals in particular: I was harsh on the first map, despite it arguably having more "flair" than this one, especially texture-wise. But where this one lacks in theme, it makes up for it in details. BSP maps are inherently blocky in nature. but 05 does it's best to break things up with jagged edges, little details and just random things to make every corridor look at least somewhat interesting.

Great!
3/3
DsC_Creep

PreviousNext