Board index DeFRaG Competitions DFWC 2012

Lessons Learned

Lessons Learned

Postby <hk> » Oct 27th, '12, 10:12 pm

What has to be done better by the organisators for the next DFWC.
I want this to be a productive thread. Please post when you have something to contribute., only.

I will edit this post over when new stuff comes up.

Organisation:
  • Do not swap maps last minute.
  • Explain stuff in detail and have someone at hand that can translate to Russian.
  • Advertise rules long before the start of the DFWC.
  • Order maps by skill level. Get serveral opinions about the skill level of a map.
  • Fixed ruleset for all rounds.
  • Suggest legit and useful command and cvars like killobs to players.
  • Get a russian translator.
  • Rules should be persistent. And if ever only changed between rounds.

Preventing problems
  • AC should check the cvars and print which are violating the ruleset.

Anti-Cheating Measures:
  • Prepare software long before the start of the 1st Round. There will always come up something in your day job or you may be hit by a bus.
  • Link everything static so people don't blame you for the windows library mess with zillions of different C-Runtimes.
  • Keep in mind that Anti-Virus software may silently delete files like .DLLs
  • make sure defrag doesn't overwrite AC-markers in the demo.

Rules that keep the grinding out of the comp
  • Limit pre-runs(time from spawn to timer start) to 5 seconds or some other abitrary constant. To keep players from hurting them self over a start timer skip pre-run.

Mapping:
  • Nice Checkpoints on maps.
  • No trigger_give/trigger_init mid-run.
  • No Overbounces that occur through falling onto a slope
  • No Overbounces that occur through jumping down onto a level surface from a slope. (not random put plain grinding)
  • Do not place the player_start onto the ground to prevent kill-sticky obs.
  • Get .map files to check on clips, slopes and hidden items.
  • No invisible trigger.
  • Make sure people can't avoid trigger(strip/kill/init) by doing weird CPM stuff.

Refine Overbounce rules:
  • Allow players get fire themself sticky
  • Explicit allow Ground Boosting
  • Overbounces created by touching the ceiling are not allowed
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Re: Lessons Learned

Postby dqopb » Oct 30th, '12, 10:25 am

I guess we all have to say many thanks to all the dfwc organizers.

There always will be people to blame rules, maps, technical part etc. But what they don't do is that they don't try doing it themselves. Of course dfwc is much harder to organize than it may seem at first.

And its only the current dfwc organizers, who are engaged this time, who endeavor to make everything properly. And its only them who know how hard it is to satisfy everyone. And still it is them to endure continuous blaming flows, free of charge, with no personal profit.

Thank you for arranging a dfwc this year in any way.
dqopb

Postby RetroHelix » Oct 30th, '12, 5:54 pm

dqopb wrote:I guess we all have to say many thanks to all the dfwc organizers.

There always will be people to blame rules, maps, technical part etc. But what they don't do is that they don't try doing it themselves. Of course dfwc is much harder to organize than it may seem at first.

And its only the current dfwc organizers, who are engaged this time, who endeavor to make everything properly. And its only them who know how hard it is to satisfy everyone. And still it is them to endure continuous blaming flows, free of charge, with no personal profit.

Thank you for arranging a dfwc this year in any way.

:clap:

PS: Nice map.
RetroHelix

Postby BerserK » Oct 30th, '12, 8:54 pm

Nice countdown! 8-)
"Everyone cares about allowed scripts and huds, lol, care about skills." © P.J.RiPPeR
BerserK

Postby demon0r » Oct 30th, '12, 9:33 pm

dqopb wrote:Thank you for arranging a dfwc this year in any way.

Pretty much this. People can say anything they want about DFWC, but it actually brings back defrag to life everytime (at least a little bit, let's face it, this is 13 years old game, it's a miracle that so many people are still playing it) :P And I imagine that organising event of this magnitude is hell, so thanks again people :P
demon0r

Postby esc?nebuLa » Oct 30th, '12, 11:09 pm

*Like button* :mrgreen:
https://www.facebook.com/TeamEventHorizon
#tricking_eh on irc.quakenet.org
esc?nebuLa

Postby dqopb » Oct 31st, '12, 1:01 pm

demon0r wrote:this is 13 years old game, it's a miracle that so many people are still playing it

Right. Moreover, this game is not profitable. No-one gets profit from servers, sale of in-game virtual goods and advertisment.
The fact of self-organization in this case means that the game, its developers and the community are just awesome.
:clap: *peace*
dqopb

Postby RetroHelix » Oct 31st, '12, 5:55 pm

dqopb wrote:
demon0r wrote:this is 13 years old game, it's a miracle that so many people are still playing it

Right. Moreover, this game is not profitable. No-one gets profit from servers, sale of in-game virtual goods and advertisment.
The fact of self-organization in this case means that the game, its developers and the community are just awesome.
:clap: *peace*

You said enough encouraging words in the first post. This statement is plain wrong, most people in the community are just ass holes.
RetroHelix

Postby BerserK » Oct 31st, '12, 6:50 pm

I have one.. or two questions.

I. Is random ob as a side effect of plasma counting as regular random ob (!)when player doesn't use it or does use it accidentally with minimum speed gaining? Especially on this kind of map(dfwc2012-1).

II. Is it a big problem if my demo was made with default network settings? (snaps are different - 40 not 125). I don't get this one rule in off-line playing.

Ty. Btw every DFWC is great and the map isn't that bad, just it takes longer to do good time :). AND! I like the non-checkpoint style and pickups.

edit: Section "Rules" on dfwc site and dfwc2012-rules.cfg are different. In rules.cfg isn't anything about demo recording.
Last edited by BerserK on Oct 31st, '12, 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone cares about allowed scripts and huds, lol, care about skills." © P.J.RiPPeR
BerserK

Postby TittenIgnition » Oct 31st, '12, 7:14 pm

BerserK wrote:I have one.. or two questions.

I. Is random ob as a side effect of plasma counting as regular random ob (!)when player doesn't use it or does use it accidentally with minimum speed gaining? Especially on this kind of map(dfwc2012-1).

II. Is it a big problem if my demo was made with default network settings? (snaps,rate are different). I don't get this one rule in off-line playing.

Ty. Btw every DFWC is great and the map isn't that bad, just it takes longer to do good time :). AND! I like the non-checkpoint style and pickups.

If you get a random ob but don't actually use it (hold +moveup before you land), then it shouldn't matter. Any speed gain counts as cheating.

Rate and snaps shouldn't matter. I doubt our judges are ignorant enough to DQ you for having a low rate in your demo.
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Next