Board index DeFRaG Competitions DFWC 2012

General discussion

Re: DFWC 2011

Postby <hk> » Jan 11th, '11, 10:52 pm

There really is nobody who already claimed the DFWC2011?
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby esc?nebuLa » Jan 11th, '11, 11:07 pm

<hk> wrote:There really is nobody who already claimed the DFWC2011?

Honestly, I think most people have unfortunately moved to new games :(((( Sucks.
https://www.facebook.com/TeamEventHorizon
#tricking_eh on irc.quakenet.org
esc?nebuLa

Postby $$-albion » Jan 12th, '11, 11:52 am

esc?nebuLa wrote:

Honestly, I think most people have unfortunately moved to new games :(((( Sucks.

Nope :D
$$-albion

Postby RetroHelix » Jan 12th, '11, 4:29 pm

esc?nebuLa wrote:

Right! And its unlikely that new players will join the community to enjoy the frustr... ehm fun of playing defrag.

I would prefer 5 rounds and summing up the times.
RetroHelix

Postby <hk> » Jan 13th, '11, 3:56 am

If nobody has a problem with that, mDd will host the DFWC 2011. It should start somewhere in april. I should have some time to spare by april.

Mappers, please start working on Maps.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby Arcaon » Jan 13th, '11, 9:54 am

I approve of this.
Arcaon

Postby RetroHelix » Jan 13th, '11, 11:11 am

<hk> wrote:If nobody has a problem with that, mDd will host the DFWC 2011. It should start somewhere in april. I should have some time to spare by april.

Mappers, please start working on Maps.

I can post news over at bd-hq. Tell if you want to make an announcement. I post a oneliner about mDd hosting the cup if there isnt much more to say.
RetroHelix

Postby -DeX- » Jan 13th, '11, 3:31 pm

so this dfwc would be online?
-DeX-

Postby <hk> » Jan 13th, '11, 4:09 pm

The Ukrainian Guy wrote:so this dfwc would be online?

What? NO!

It will be like it used to.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby ZyaX » Jan 13th, '11, 5:23 pm

<hk> wrote:We would happily provide a demo sanity checker to whoever runs the contest this year. With it you could submit your demo and get instant feedback if it is valid or not. Valid in terms of settings like "pmove" or other rules not cheats.

How about we all make a list of things that should improve compared to the last years?

• I'd like to see the results of all demos instantly after the deadline runs out. I don't care if they are cheat or not. I want to see at least a ranking. Validation can take up to 2 days after the deadline.
  • The demo upload script should tell me if my demos have invalid settings so i don't get disqualified.
  • Many players drop out of the comp pretty early because they didn't make it past the required time for a map. Times should be added up until the very end. In my case, I suck at strafing but I like plasma maps. Kick players out of the list when they stop submitting demos.
  • I always had the feeling some players knew the maps before others did. Also sometimes there where apparently intentionally mapped shorts or bugs. I don't know how to fix this but it bothers me anyway.
  • I'd love to see some more weapon maps. Also less clipping. It only makes the map and the demo more interesting if there are many things to jump on, or being able to run back for more ammo. Nobody likes being rail-roaded.
  • I didn't like the dfwc2010 engine. Players protested less than I expected. To me it was just an anti feature.
  • Not more than 5 Rounds, please

• Agree. All submitted and pre-validated demos should be made available to everyone. Whereas it would only be the preliminary results.
  • Yes. Very good if that could be provided.
  • This is an interesting point and I have to agree with you that it should be the overall performance of the entire tournament that decides the winner. You could argue that it is not like that in The Olympics. It doesn't matter if you do kind of bad in the quarter finals or semi finals as long as you qualify, then you have an equally good shot at the gold as the people who won the quarters and semis. You could also argue that it has always been like this. But I think that it shouldn't be ruled out that common sense could be a valid argument versus tradition.
  • This is an intriguing predicament. First of all I would like to ask if anyone knows off the top of their heads, how many of last year's mappers participated(because I'm lazy to check), and then how many of them got a high ranking on their own map. You do put the mappers in an awkward situation, where they find themselves choosing whether to play or to map. Also think about that leaking information about map secrets will still happen even if the mapper isn't allowed to play, it happens between regular players who discover routes as well. So in this matter you'll just have to weigh the pros versus the cons and how much impact is has on the tournament. But personally I wouldn't like to bar mappers from the world cup. I mean, we're not such a big community so we can't be so serious business picky and choosy about this.
  • Clipping?
  • DFWC2010 engine... hmm. First of all, where's the source code that was promised? Second. I have a stone, a stone that keeps tigers away.
  • I can agree that the 0th round was kind of useless, also call it 1st round. How many rounds and the total time of the whole tournament, i.e. how many days per map has shifted a lot over the years. In 2008 it was 10 and 2005 it was 6. I think there has to be a number of maps to include all the different map types and flavors, but I think the time frame of the whole tournament should be between a month and a month and a half.

esc?nebuLa wrote:Well, whoever organizes and manages it this year, I hope you don't accept any maps that have "tr" like routes where you can collect items and start the timer. (See DFWC2010-4)

The word you're looking for is prejump. And while most people bear such hatred for it because they got their times beaten badly by a (usually) much easier route or feel a sort of compassion for the mapper, I personally see prejumping(as well as TR'ing) as just another part of the game. You refer to dfwc2010-4, which is a prime example of it, and I think it was not a bad challenge in itself to perform that prejump(because I know that I some times got a bit shaky at the starting line with the bfg, health and armor knowing that this was it), what became of the map then did not live up to dfwc standards in my opinion.
That map was actually one of the worst quality maps I think, seeing as it only took around 12 seconds to finish with the "normal" route. Maybe that mapper will learn something from it though.
ZyaX
Voice of Reason

PreviousNext