Board index DeFRaG Mapping

Video tutorial of mapping process

Maps and the process of creating them

Video tutorial of mapping process

Postby $$-albion » Jan 27th, '10, 9:21 pm

Ghost, i has a question, 2 actually:
1) Do you have screen/video capturing software?
2) If so, could you make like a vid when you're making another map, doesn't need to be a fully explained tutorial, just a vid of you making the map without all the explaining. :D

If you can, and the quality doesn't suck ass, could you pwease do that? :D

Also: got any specific values on the space between 2 strafepads? Or do you just make some pads and try them out?
And hk, maybe you could make a new board under "Defrag", sth called like "Mapping"
$$-albion

Re: Suggestion..?

Postby 742617000027 » Jan 28th, '10, 12:57 am

Oh lord, just start messing around in radiant, it doesn't take long until you get good results. Concerning the pads: just steal them out of other maps or do the math yourself :)

Postby <)Ghost(> » Jan 28th, '10, 4:50 am

hmm i could make a tut..

as for spacing between pads, its quite difficult to say, it all depends on the size of ur pads

for example an average pad size for me is (in grid64) 3x4 each... so an easy spacing for the starting and first pad would be 3 units then to the next pad would be 3 1/2, 4 1/2

a harder pad set would be using the same grid, 3x4 units each pad starting with, initial and first pad with a spacing of 4 units on with 5, 5 1/2, 6 units...

i never go more than 4-6 pads, cause then spacing gets crazy, if i ever wanted to add more pads, I honestly will decompile a map and throw in those pads. personally i dont like doing it, id rather use my own work. but working with pads is a pain in the ass, imo.

also it all depends on the player too, im not a great player, so when I make maps that requires some skill, I try to make it so that I have a hard time doing it, ie: my latest map ghost-rum2.. i have trouble finishing the map in 1 run

hope this helps, if u got any other questions dont hesitate to contact me email/msn q3tay123@hotmail.com
<)Ghost(>

Postby $$-albion » Jan 28th, '10, 10:48 am

Naajs, thanks :D
$$-albion

Re: Video tutorial of mapping process

Postby <)Ghost(> » Jan 29th, '10, 4:54 am

This is the first video. First I made the basic layout in paint. then i mapped that same basic layout.. spacing and size of the map accounted for. I have some brain farts as you'll notice. And i am very anal when it comes to alignment (you'll see what i mean). I also map at a higher grid to avoid map leaks. By default caulk is pink. I changed mine to white because its less of an eye sore. Also, I use the autosave function, because with windows7 I cant create new maps and save them, unless i use the autosave function.

http://www.mediafire.com/?20mwyhzbyyh

Anyway, some basic hotkeys I used are:
Space: copying brushes
control z: undo
control y : redo
Numbers 0-9: changing grid size
alt 4: filtering transparent shaders
shift x: toggles the green lines on 2d grid ( i have no idea what its called i discovered it by accident and i always use it now)
ctrl tab: change views in 2d grid
i: invert selection (if u have nothing selected it will select all, if u have something filtered out, it wont select it)
control mouse3: on the 2d grid it will move camera there in the 3d view.
E: hit edges
V: hit vertexes
control n: naturalize textures (used for curves so they aren't stretched
mousewheel: on 2dgrid zooms in/out, on 3d window moves forward/backward
control left click: with the brush selected it will drag the brush changing the angle see it at 11:47 (changing views will change how its dragged)

Edit: i forgot to mention i am using GtkRadiant version 1.4
Last edited by <)Ghost(> on Feb 5th, '10, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
<)Ghost(>

Postby $$-albion » Jan 29th, '10, 8:56 am

:O Nice, dl'ing now :D gonna start mapping next week :D ^^
$$-albion

Postby <)Ghost(> » Jan 30th, '10, 7:04 pm

so i made like 2 other vids prior to this, but because i get so into mapping i forget im recording, and i recorded about 2 hours worth and then they became corrupt. anyway prior to this vid, i added textures to most of my walls, added some minor details, fog, stairs where needed etc.. gave more depth to the map by extending the floor and raising the walls.

so anyway in this vid 90% of the time im makin a doorway that seperates the inside of the map to the outside..

http://www.sendspace.com/file/o1qv6e

some hotkeys i used are...
control d: filters detail brushes on and off (ill explain what details are and how to use them)
control shift d: filters structural brushes on and off (all brushes are structural by default)
control m: makes brushes detail
control shit left click: selects a single face on a brush
conrrol mouse3 : with brush(s) or brush face(s) selected, clickin mouse3 on another brush face will change it to the one highlighted either in texture window, or in 3d camera window. See 8:30
If your selecting a texture from the 3d camera, it will follow the same texture alignment. If you select the texture from the texture window, it will keep the alignment it was originally at. (texture alignment isnt adjusted when u flip/rotate brushes, so when u apply a new texture to one of its faces, it will not change. this could be good or bad)
If texture alignment is off do control shift left click to select the bad alignment and hit mouse3 on the right alignment to line it up properly (see 8:45).
control shift mouse3: will do the same above, but will keep alignment as the one selected, regardless if was flipped/moved/whatever.

So onto detailed brushes. any brush you want to make detail, map it in caulk first, any unseen faces must be caulked (if not it will cause issues with fps, I map in caulk at first to avoid having to go back and redo it). the point of making brushes detail is that it will cut down on compile time. a couple of brushes will not make a difference, but if ur map is loaded with extra details and eye candy it will make a HUGE difference. ie: ghost-iswierd 95% of the map is eye candy, therefore; 95% of my map has detail brushes. when compiling q3map2 renders the brush as if it doesnt exist, but it is there and will render in game.

either right click on 2d grid with brush selected and click make detail or with it selected do control m, then do filter out details do control d.

On the topic of caulk, technically you dont have map in caulk, then apply face textures... any unseen faces will NOT be rendered in game (unless u box out ur map with a skybox or something). But like I said above, I do it to avoid having to go back and redo something else later. it saves

and in this vid im making a bridge.. hotkey u should familair urself with is R for rotating objects.

http://www.mediafire.com/?wjjmnljytof
<)Ghost(>

Postby $$-albion » Jan 31st, '10, 3:09 am

Great, I can really use the bridge vid :p just drew some kind of a strafemap and it has some bridges in it :D well actually it's more or less one giant aquaduct :D :p So i was thinking is it possible to make some sort of pillars that look about the same as let's say ancient Roman/Greek pillars? :O ^^
$$-albion

Postby <)Ghost(> » Jan 31st, '10, 5:38 am

of coruse, maybe you wont get it down to the exact detail but it will be close... its much easier for me to map something with a guide to go by.

my map for stuff was based mainly on medieval architecture from what i could find on google images.

http://karenswhimsy.com/medieval-architecture.shtm
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... agrele.jpg

also i came across this site that has a ton of really nice models for q3... http://www.wemakemaps.com/mapmodeltext.htm ... if your going for a roman/greek theme there a couple of nice models in there.
<)Ghost(>

Postby $$-albion » Jan 31st, '10, 4:29 pm

0Ghost<)MINIONS(> wrote:of coruse, maybe you wont get it down to the exact detail but it will be close... its much easier for me to map something with a guide to go by.

my map for stuff was based mainly on medieval architecture from what i could find on google images.

http://karenswhimsy.com/medieval-architecture.shtm
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... agrele.jpg

also i came across this site that has a ton of really nice models for q3... http://www.wemakemaps.com/mapmodeltext.htm ... if your going for a roman/greek theme there a couple of nice models in there.

$$-albion

Next