Board index DeFRaG Mapping

The Edge of Forever

Maps and the process of creating them

The Edge of Forever

Postby Phoenix » Sep 17th, '10, 5:23 am

I'm doing a short video as sort of a "test project" on the map moteof_final ("The Edge of Forever"). If you haven't played it you can check it out here:

http://q3a.ath.cx/?mapdetails=moteof_final

More details as well as spoilers available here:
http://www.simonoc.com/pages/design/maps_q3/moteof.htm

I've been playing around with q3mme and it all seems to be fairly straight-forward so I don't anticipate any problems there but I do have an intro in mind that would involve modifying the map to construct more of the outside of the castle as well as move the skybox further out. The source files are freely available (please see the readme for permissions) at the author's website here:

http://www.simonoc.com/pages/design/map ... source.htm

The problem is GtkRadiant will crash upon opening the map. It starts to load all of the textures and models and as soon as it finishes I get the windows 7 popup saying the program has stopped responding and asking if I want to search for solutions online or close the program.

Here's my PC specs:
Mac Pro (the tower; not the laptop)
  • 2x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel processors
  • 4 GB RAM
  • Geforce 8800GT 512 MB
I'm also dual booting Windows 7 on it and use GtkRadiant 1.4.0. Just to clarify. I'm operating this software in Windows 7. You do not need knowledge of mac to help with this problem. The hardware functions exactly the same.

I've been in contact with Sock (the map's author) and he's not sure what the problem would be but here is his response in case it helps:
Sock wrote:Sorry, I got no idea why, I have never owned a mac. I used the wolfET version of gtkRadiant when I created the map, but I am not sure if it works on the mac.

I don't want to rule out a memory issue as that seems to be likely but my computer should be more than powerful enough in my opinion so I don't know what else it could be.

Any help/ideas is appreciated.
Phoenix

Re: The Edge of Forever

Postby amt-morbus » Sep 17th, '10, 2:35 pm

try 1.5
amt-morbus

Postby <)Ghost(> » Sep 17th, '10, 3:23 pm

ive had the same problem before as well, i could load pieces of the map, but not the map as a whole.
<)Ghost(>

Postby Phoenix » Sep 18th, '10, 6:39 am

1.5 works.... :x

Not making any major modifications at least so I hopefully won't have to deal with it for long. One thing that really annoys me is I can't seem to find a similar way to select a single face of a brush for texturing. In 1.4 you can use shift + ctrl click and then drag along all the faces you want. If you make one selection with this then unclick you can continue to select more. In 1.5 the same combination instead of simply selecting creates a selection box. It doesn't work nearly as well and I can't add to the selection if I don't get everything in the initial box ...

Hopefully that makes sense ... is there a solution for it? I want it to function like 1.4.
Phoenix

Postby Arcaon » Sep 18th, '10, 11:35 am

Same shortcut in 1.5, no idea why it won't work for you.
Arcaon

Postby Phoenix » Sep 18th, '10, 12:35 pm

It's the same shortcut but how it functions is not the same. 1.5 is much much worse. I can't select what I want with it unless I do 1 face at a time which is retarded. Not gonna map like that it would take me forever.
Phoenix

Postby amt-morbus » Sep 18th, '10, 2:05 pm

Select the brushes you want to modify and press F for face-mode.
amt-morbus

Postby <)Ghost(> » Sep 18th, '10, 9:58 pm

if I remember correctly it was the same shortcut and you an even select multiple different faces.. for example if u had a box and u wanted to select the floor and ceiling faces only you could do so. that's probably one of the few things i liked about 1.5.

lol i haven't used 1.5 in at least 2 years. I'm surprised i still know these things.
<)Ghost(>

Postby Phoenix » Sep 19th, '10, 2:21 am

Not sure what you guys are talking about. I can say for a fact that it is not the same (for me). I'll have to make a small video to show the difference I guess so you can see what I mean.
Phoenix

Postby <)Ghost(> » Sep 19th, '10, 3:52 pm

wish i could be more help but i cant even run 1.5 i keep getting this runtime error when i disable desktop composition, and the only way for me to map in radiant is to disable that.
<)Ghost(>

Next