Board index DeFRaG Mapping

Beta Release

Maps and the process of creating them

Re: Beta Release

Postby Phoenix » Aug 22nd, '10, 6:32 pm

It was meant as a public beta release. It may have a few minor flaws in it but it is essentially done. Uploading a map here will get it 2 hits. Not very helpful.

One thing about q3a.ath.cx that annoyed me was it wouldn't let me use '+' in the map title. It works for older maps which I guess were uploaded by pan but if i put it in the title it will tell me its an invalid name and won't upload. Is there a way I can get around that for the final version?
Phoenix

Postby amt-morbus » Aug 22nd, '10, 8:06 pm

742617000027 wrote:Yeah, how about spawning a public server where maps in beta stage can be tested together? Like you upload them via a form on q3df.org and it gets ported to the server immediately. Then after testing a bit you can delete it again (otherwise it will get deleted 24 hours after the upload). I'd love to have the possibilty to test maps with other players without being forced to ask people who can spawn servers themselves. You could transform one of the freestyle servers into a testing server, cause people rarely play on them and could vote for the physics if needed.

totally agree!
would be cool if there would be something like an account for mappers within the maparchive. you could upload password protected files and run on the testserver....
amt-morbus

Postby Arcaon » Aug 22nd, '10, 10:31 pm

742617000027 wrote:Yeah, how about spawning a public server where maps in beta stage can be tested together? Like you upload them via a form on q3df.org and it gets ported to the server immediately. Then after testing a bit you can delete it again (otherwise it will get deleted 24 hours after the upload). I'd love to have the possibilty to test maps with other players without being forced to ask people who can spawn servers themselves. You could transform one of the freestyle servers into a testing server, cause people rarely play on them and could vote for the physics if needed.

Awesome idea bro. :clap:
Arcaon

Postby [DF]yotoon » Aug 23rd, '10, 1:08 pm

Yes! F1 for that.
[DF]yotoon

Postby <hk> » Aug 23rd, '10, 1:33 pm

OK, it's settled then. You guys start coding on the upload and copy to server feature. Oh and don't forget the password authentication to manage uploaded maps. It should also fix permissions and should be able to move data between Virtual machines via ssh.

Anyway. Notify me, when you are done.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby 742617000027 » Aug 23rd, '10, 1:41 pm

Erm. Am I mistaken or isn't the infrastructure already there? How hard is it to connect q3a.ath.cx to the user database of q3df.org to be able to login and upload (beta) maps to the archive? Little additional userinterface would be needed, only an "upload as beta" checkbox which copies the map only to the test server and afterwards a "delete map" link for the user that uploaded it (who is identified by logging in). You could even leave out the login thing and delete all maps uploaded as beta after 24 hours. The copy-to-server would be the same as it is now, only that the maps are copied to just one server.

Postby <hk> » Aug 23rd, '10, 2:21 pm

People should start reading the warnings on the upload page.
Warnings about missing textures or shader for example.

It's not that hard to connect the worldspawn archive to the mDd database. I have to talk to pan about that. The real problem is getting the map to the right server. I would have to setup completely separate quake3 so the maps don't leak into the server repacking system. You have to do everything twice.

The servers we have are the very same server running from the same directory tree. We don't have each map 6 times on the server. That's also why you can vote CTF maps on the FS servers.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby 742617000027 » Aug 23rd, '10, 2:26 pm

Oh I see. Well, if it's too much trouble then of course it can't be helped.

Postby <)Ghost(> » Aug 23rd, '10, 4:00 pm

wouldnt it be possible to delete a file after say 4 hours of upload, through task scheduling or something?
<)Ghost(>

Previous