Board index DeFRaG Mapping

New Map Many Screenshots + Problem

Maps and the process of creating them

New Map Many Screenshots + Problem

Postby Phoenix » Aug 4th, '10, 9:16 am

Finally finished my latest map ... many screenshots below :) I am still tweaking a few shaders such as my glass so the look of a few things may still change a little. I am having one problem thats going to delay the release though ... As it's a rather large map and has many shader effects going when i compiled it with the light phase for the first time in a very long time i only get 50-70 fps. Without it its an easy 125 and the map still looks okay but i would rather have some real lighting to it if possible. Wondering if any smarter mappers out there know of some solutions i can try such as dif compile options or quick fixes.

If I can get this sorted out ill be releasing the map as a beta release and then after i get a bit of feedback from the gameplay ill be making 2 smaller versions. The first one will remove all original parts of dm17 and condense the rest of the platforms into a map and the second one will be a ctf version of that one.

Map was started many years ago before phoenix-run1 was even started. Redid the entire brushwork and changed every texture when i started mapping again. Also I am looking for a really good frag screenshot to finish my own-age promo if anyone has any ideas ... pics and details can be found here:

http://www.own-age.com/forum/threads/54579/1/#T54591

Phoenix

Re: New Map Many Screenshots + Problem

Postby <hk> » Aug 4th, '10, 11:14 am

Yet another dm17 ripoff. It even has ads in it. I don't like it.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby amt-morbus » Aug 4th, '10, 8:58 pm

- use bigger lightgrid
- dont use too small _lightmapsize
- clean up your map and remove all the shit you dont rly need.
- save as many polygons as you can
- dont use too fancy q3map2 light compile parameters - the more data your light stage produces, the worse your fps.
(-light -fast -patchshadows should do it for this space map without alot of detailed stuff in it)
- you could even try to use lightmapscale greater 1 in certain areas.
- compress textures - you dont need 2,5 mb targa files in a map (dunno if you do but i saw that :D in other maps.
- use lightgrid shader from q3map2
amt-morbus

Postby 742617000027 » Aug 5th, '10, 1:59 am

If you hear morbus talking about mapping you lose all the fun doing it :P

Postby Phoenix » Aug 5th, '10, 4:10 am

@hk

You're entitled to your opinion. Thank you for your honesty.

@morbus

Thank you I've got it running at 125 fps with lighting now :). Still tweaking compile options a bit to see what more I can do because I'm fairly new at it. Just started mapping again a few months ago and when i used to map i just used the built in gtkradiant compiles because i didnt know other ways existed at the time :) So im fairly noob when it comes to that stuff still.

Should be releasing a public beta in a couple of days now that all of the issues are sorted out.
Phoenix

Postby Phoenix » Aug 9th, '10, 4:48 am

Quick update ... I've been playing around with dif compile options trying to get the best compile I can ...

I've got it at 125 fps on my machine but most other people dont get 125 still :(
I checked how high my fps could go when i compile just bsp and vis and the best i got was flickering between 150-200. So I'm trying to figure out ways to increase that because I've got a light compile that doesn't lower that at much or at all (maybe 10 fps) and still looks good.

I tried converting a few parts to ase models (the asteroids and the flame pots) just because they had the most complex brushwork but that didnt seem to do anything. I've been very careful to construct my platforms with the minimum possible count and visible faces and all non-visible faces are using caulk shader. No brushes overlap anywhere int he map. Is there anything else I can try? (apart from making it smaller :P). I'm sure the smaller versions of this map will run fine which is good but i'd like to get the big one working as good as it possibly can first.
Phoenix

Postby <hk> » Aug 9th, '10, 9:58 am

It's a spacemap. You have to render everything no matter where in the map you are. Your options are limited.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby amt-morbus » Aug 9th, '10, 8:06 pm

Phoenix wrote:Is there anything else I can try?

- Add a -farplanedist value to worldspawn.
- Increase lightridsize as i mentioned above.
- use lighgrid shader from ydnar.

...and a massive use of shaders that include blendings do suck on your fps counter.

As for your geometry:
-Converting your brushwork to ase models does not automatically mean that you'll decrease the amount of polygons.
- Using patches instead of complicated brushwork could actually result in better fps because you can take advantage of the LOD (which makes sense in a large space map).
amt-morbus

Postby Phoenix » Aug 9th, '10, 10:31 pm

_farplanedist doesn't seem to do anything. It says its to be used with level-wide fog which I don't want but on its own i see no change.

I've already got the other 2 but as i said im working on getting the fps higher without compiling the -light phase. Just -bsp and -vis. There isn't any real complex brushwork anywhere that I could switch out for patches its mostly simple stuff. I do have some room to remove a few of my trim shaders with blend effects for some standard ones. I'll try that and see how it does.

Also does the # of textures used in the map affect fps in any way or does it just have to do with the number of visible/textured faces that are shown.

TY for your continued help morbus it really is useful to me.
Phoenix

Postby amt-morbus » Aug 9th, '10, 11:47 pm

What i can see from your screenshots, you use quite alot of different shaders and textures. Maybe try to keep it more simple (like using 1 jumppadtexture instead of 2 or 3) and maybe you could even try to apply only the texture of certain shaders to areas of brushes, which the player is not likely to see very often...
or remove geometry that you dont really need.
amt-morbus