Board index DeFRaG Mapping

New entities

Maps and the process of creating them

Re: New entities

Postby AL!EN » Jun 4th, '10, 6:59 pm

BeRsErKeR wrote:Have a lot of coding to do I think. But I'll try to find a way to implement clientside doors and buttons.

I tell you that this would be pretty amazing and needed thing 8-)
"strafe is the most important 'weapon' in defrag" - <hk>
AL!EN

Postby |PsY|Shio » Jun 4th, '10, 7:24 pm

awesome finally some shit happens for da mappers.

1.the target_delay is bugged for mp for instance, if 2 ppl(people) at the same time touch a trigger_multiple linked with a delay only one player would activate it.

2. fix the globalfragsfilter, if some player would touch a megahealth linked with a target_score 1 the globalfragsfilter "1" (maybe even 2,3,..) would be blocked by this player for all other players, i know theres a workaround way but
maps that are already made with globalfragsfilters would be fixed.

3.how about some sound switch (texture_remap) so that u can change sounds from doors/buttons/teleports ingame, and a noise key inside gtk would be not bad.

keep up the good work berserker D
|PsY|Shio

Postby |PsY|blumen » Jun 4th, '10, 7:34 pm

|PsY|Shio wrote:[...]

first post by shio, lets celebrate :dance: :violin:

i see here the chance to not only improve mapping possibilities, but also fixing the online issues. first thought i had about this breakable thingwas, when does it respawn? it seems to be just one more feature that is wont work online.
and online is for me the only thing that keeps defrag alive..
|PsY|blumen
sparkle bunny

Postby BeRsErKeR » Jun 4th, '10, 8:45 pm

Please understand that I'm not very familiar with the quake3 source code. So I have to play around with some values a bit to understand all of the thousand things there. A func_breakable was not an easy job but those online issues are much harder. I can't promise that I am able to satisfy all wishes.

You are also welcome to give some clues about how to realize some online entities. I am trying to implement clientside doors at the moment but it doesn't work and I'm not really sure how it should work.
BeRsErKeR

Postby amt-morbus » Jun 4th, '10, 9:33 pm

Sounds great. Here are some suggestion:

1) Don't use trigger's for the new features - only use entities. Using triggers is very limiting since you anyway can combine a trigger_multible with all kind of entities - but the other way around does not work.
1.1) Remove trigger_push_velocity from the defrag.def and create entities instead - i would also make it more simple. Make a target_push_velocity instead.
[2) Implement w3sp's code for teleporters - players velocity will not be altered and you'll come out with the same speed as you jumped into the teleporter.] - seems to be already sent to cgg
3) triggerable func_trains would be nice. Also an angle key for path_corners could be useful or in general a feature like the model or brush automatically rotates its axis to a point while following the path.
4) New surfaceparms like: nobounce, g_bounce, j_bounce, projectile_clip (but player can walk through it)...
5) add shooter_bfg
5.1) Are the shooter_weapon_targetplayer really helpful or anyhow used in maps??? Especially on long distances there is hardly use for them.
6) a modification of the holdable_teleporter item. The player should be able to set the desired teleporter_destination.

7) Making already existing code work:
7.1) target_laser is bugged and is only available in certain gametypes
7.2) target_gravity - Triggerable gravity changes. Setting gravity for a volume (like inside a trigger_multible) or for the whole map (activator and global and team-switches).

8) maybe add something like these mines like in qlive (Proxmine launcher) or also add the team-arena entities and weaons.

:pray:
amt-morbus

Postby BeRsErKeR » Jun 5th, '10, 12:43 am

A lot of work. I'll make a list and try my best. 3 defrag projects are running now...
BeRsErKeR

Postby <hk> » Jun 5th, '10, 1:55 am

Please do not touch the gravity.
A shaft shooter would work like a spring.

Please only push the essential stuff in. Things like gravity or my 'shaft shooter' are not that important. You may commit them later. Too many changes aren't that good I guess.

Keep it short and simple.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby |PsY|blumen » Jun 5th, '10, 4:40 am

even tough this not an entity.

but a good addition could be a votable setting that forces the doors to be triggered,
this would remove the problem with most ctf maps and multiple doorholder clients and makes sure everybody has the same condition. and votable because some maps use doors for other things that would be fucked up when using this setting.

actually this is a good thing for the new db when the current db gets moved away from the active ranking.
this sure does interference with the clientside door thing, which might be a difficult thing to realise. but if there is ever time spent on it. keep in mind that you should never replace or remove current entities :p

good fucking god i could write an 30 site post about this shit :) but for me, the door and the whole multiplayer bs is the worst thing.
|PsY|blumen
sparkle bunny

Postby Phoenix » Jun 5th, '10, 7:33 am

target_init

The checkbox for "remove mg" is missing from this entity in Gtk. You can manually type in the spawnflag # for it but it would be convenient to add it.

Spawnflags are as follows:

Keep Armor = Spawnflags 1
Keep Health = Spawnflags 2
Keep Weapons = Spawnflags 4
Keep Powerups = Spawnflags 8
Keep Holdable = Spawnflags 16
Remove MG = Spawnflags 32

If you want multiple spawnflags on with remove mg you use the sum of the numbers. Easy to do just annoying. Check boxes are nice :)

Other than that most of the ideas here seem to sum up what I would say. Only other thing I can think of is would it be possible to make it so you can combine functions (probably a bad example just the first i thought of) such as a func_bobbing and func_rotating or func_bobbing and func_door to have a moving platform with a door that opens.

More practical uses than just those I'm sure.

K just looked in Gtk and a more practical use would be func_bobbing, func_rotate, or func_train paired with func_button to have different types of moving buttons.
Phoenix

Postby BeRsErKeR » Jun 5th, '10, 8:48 am

About the thing with REMOVE_MG: This can be easily changed inside the defrag.def file.

You have to extend the following part:

Code: Select all
/*QUAKED target_init (1 0 0) (-8 -8 -8) (8 8 8) KEEPARMOR KEEPHEALTH KEEPWEAPONS KEEPPOWERUPS KEEPHOLDABLE
Removes various items from player.
-------- SPAWNFLAGS --------
KEEPARMOR
KEEPHEALTH
KEEPWEAPONS
KEEPPOWERUPS
KEEPHOLDABLE
REMOVEMACHINEGUN
-------- NOTES --------
REMOVEMACHINEGUN has no effect if KEEPWEAPONS is ON.
This target was originally settled for teleporters that lead back to the map starting point.
target_init fires its target when activated.
*/

to this code:

Code: Select all
/*QUAKED target_init (1 0 0) (-8 -8 -8) (8 8 8) KEEPARMOR KEEPHEALTH KEEPWEAPONS KEEPPOWERUPS KEEPHOLDABLE REMOVEMACHINEGUN
Removes various items from player.
-------- SPAWNFLAGS --------
KEEPARMOR
KEEPHEALTH
KEEPWEAPONS
KEEPPOWERUPS
KEEPHOLDABLE
REMOVEMACHINEGUN
-------- NOTES --------
REMOVEMACHINEGUN has no effect if KEEPWEAPONS is ON.
This target was originally settled for teleporters that lead back to the map starting point.
target_init fires its target when activated.
*/

So just add REMOVEMACHINEGUN to the end of the first line. ;)
BeRsErKeR

PreviousNext