- "It's not allowed to modify the quake3 nor the defrag binary files in any way."
- "It's not allowed to modify the memory used by defrag with external programs during runtime of the game."
- "It's not allowed to drop nor delay packets(network) on purpose."
Allowed client quake3 compatible binaries:
"idsoftware quake3, ioquake3, OpenArena, cgg's dfengine, iodfe and cnq3".
- "It's not allowed to execute a sequence of commands(triggered by software or hardware) that affect physical player behavior using predefined timing and order."
- "It is not allowed to use external means to time player actions(jumping, shooting, view direction change). The player has to time actions himself."
- "It's not allowed to give your account's login data to other people."
- "You are not allowed to play using another players account."
- "It is not allowed to have more than one account per person."
Not acceptable behaviour:
- "It is not allowed to change your view angles(direction the player is facing) with other means than moving the mouse."
- "It is not allowed to bind any actions that alter the movement of a player to your mouse wheel."
- "Every player has to adjust the network settings to have the least possible packet loss and (if possible) latency (ping)"
- cl_maxpackets "125"
- snaps "125"
- rate "25000"
- "Be polite, talk english preferably, respect others and be fair."
- "If something is not forbidden do not think it is allowed. You shouldn't tinker anyway."
There is a series of cheats that should be mentioned explicitly despite being covered by the rules above.
- Do not script +moveup; +attack.
- Do not use measures that replay runs at any degree of automation.
- Using +left or +right is NOT OK. Those are considered to be turn script commands.
- Do not bind +moveup to your mouse wheel.
Update: Moved some rules into the new Guidelines category to avoid confusion. (2009-12-19)
Update: No rule changes but more examples. (2010-06-17)
Update: Not "Binding +left" but "Using +left" is forbidden (2011-01-21)
Update: Added "The player has to time actions himself." to avoid misinterpretation. (2011-04-07)
Update: Added a suggestion for client net settings. (2011-04-12)
Update: Added iodfe to the list of allowed clients. (2011-11-06)