Board index DeFRaG DeFRaG in general

The future of defrag

Are you really the best?

Re: The future of defrag

Postby BeRsErKeR » Jun 4th, '12, 10:51 am

What do you mean by "not loaded normally"? There are some things you should consider. Some entities will use more than one internally entitiy. Like func_doors which spawn a door trigger which is also an entity (if the door has no targetname or health). Moreover entities that use a model (which also includes func-entities without a specific model) need a free model slot (and there are only 256 model slots I guess). For target_speaker my idea would be that it is not possible to play too much sounds at the same time.
BeRsErKeR

Postby Le another black niger » Jun 4th, '12, 12:12 pm

ok
Map with 700 battle suits cant be loaded via /devmap.
You can run dedicated server with it, but cant connect to it.

Same thing with eastrun, server is running, connection isn't possible. Well, its true for current version of mdd servers :mrgreen: But it can be played offline or without mdd's proxymod online.

Just to make things clear: this quote
>health : if set to a non-zero value, the * must be damaged by "health" amount of points to activate (default 0).
is from doors/buttons definition, and its been copypasted for a long time. (Statement wrong is it!)
Le another black niger

Postby BeRsErKeR » Jun 4th, '12, 1:44 pm

Melanous wrote:ok
Map with 700 battle suits cant be loaded via /devmap.
You can run dedicated server with it, but cant connect to it.

Same thing with eastrun, server is running, connection isn't possible. Well, its true for current version of mdd servers :mrgreen: But it can be played offline or without mdd's proxymod online.

Then you have to talk to hk & Co. Because it's no defrag VM issue in this case.

Melanous wrote:Just to make things clear: this quote
>health : if set to a non-zero value, the * must be damaged by "health" amount of points to activate (default 0).
is from doors/buttons definition, and its been copypasted for a long time. (Statement wrong is it!)

Ah ok! Then I got you wrong. But the idea to enable this for custom_items is also good. I'll adjust the defrag.def to state that the given amount of health does not matter.
BeRsErKeR

Postby Le another black niger » Jun 4th, '12, 2:43 pm

>Map with 700 battle suits cant be loaded via /devmap.
>You can run dedicated server with it, but cant connect to it.

With usual exe and defrag, no hk included.
Le another black niger

Postby Le another black niger » Jun 5th, '12, 8:08 am

Eastrun is just an example of map, which runs on one set and does not on other.
Actually runs on one ioengine build and crashes on other :?
Runs with ioded version, used on mdd and fails with proxymod added.
About 560 entities there.
Le another black niger

Postby <hk> » Jun 5th, '12, 9:12 am

We have no idea why that is the case. All we do is forward this one pointer from the qvm to the server. That happens at the startup with LOCATE_GAME_DATA. If this pointer were off, it wouldn't work at all.
I suppose there are differences between the DLL interface and the QVM interface when it comes to the gentity list.
We never touch it.

I didn't look into it because it works. Since I have no Idea where the problem is it could take a while to find it. If you want to put your time into it, I'll be happy to give you the required means.

Northrun is a problem, too. It's just not as bad as eastrun. While on northrun about 5 players can connect and play. It's just one on eastrun. All other players get "Bad Command Byte" as errormessage and are dropped on connect. The client probably misparses the entity list.

Just don't make maps that are close to any limit. Not only entity count.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby Le another black niger » Jun 5th, '12, 9:47 am

I suppose there are differences between the DLL interface and the QVM interface when it comes to the entity list.

Sounds like the most likely truth.

Northrun is a problem, too. It's just not as bad as eastrun.

Also Sock's map moteof_final has same issue. Server suddenly crashes while running with about 5-7 players.
About 990-980 entities there :o
Le another black niger

Postby BeRsErKeR » Jun 5th, '12, 10:06 am

Is it always "Bad command byte" that causes the crash? Error messages are good to locate the cause but I fear that this message is generated by the engine code and not by the VM. But I will have a look at it.
BeRsErKeR

Postby Le another black niger » Jun 5th, '12, 12:40 pm

Did a few tests.
Eastrun offline with faulty exe and online: ERROR: CL_ParseGamestate: bad command byte
Moteof online with 6 clients: uber laggy, 7th client got ERROR: CL_ParseGamestate: bad command byte
Then a few clients were disconnected with ERROR: CL_ParseServerMessage: read past end of server message
After a while server hanged.
Northrun: cant break somehow :think:
Le another black niger

Postby amt-morbus » Jun 5th, '12, 3:33 pm

Melanous wrote:Did a few tests.
Eastrun offline with faulty exe and online: ERROR: CL_ParseGamestate: bad command byte
Moteof online with 6 clients: uber laggy, 7th client got ERROR: CL_ParseGamestate: bad command byte
Then a few clients were disconnected with ERROR: CL_ParseServerMessage: read past end of server message
After a while server hanged.
Northrun: cant break somehow :think:

About Moteof (socks puzzle map): It is a single player map and he pushed the entity count to the limit (notice that he doesnt use weapons that could create lots of new entities at once). Eastrun on the other hand creates lots of unnecessary entities in my opinion.

I had trouble with the entity count when i started AMT-FS5 and q3 would remove entities from the map (players or even the models for the projectiles). In the end you can save many entities by optimising & compromising. It is up to the mapper if he considers this when creating a big map.
amt-morbus

PreviousNext